micro chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I guess this answers the question as to whether or not a small tortoise can be micro-chipped:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/09/19/england.lucky.tortoise/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Yvonne

This motorway is about 20-30 mins away from where i live in south london england. It is one hell of a busy motorway, he is one lucky tort! i read about it in 'the sun' newspaper today and thought i would enquire with my vet about chips. We read so much about people happening upon tortoise's after they have escaped and would like to know if someone tried to keep mine and they went to a vet, i would eventually get them back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have been interested in turtles and tortoises for over 30 years, and in all that time, I have NEVER seen a turtle or a tortoise on the road. Some people (and tortoises) have all the luck!

Yvonne

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I had Bob micro-chipped about 2 months ago...

Is like chipping a dog/cat, did it hurt bob? cause any infection?

ozwin

5 Year Member
How much did it cost? I'm thinking of Ozwin being micro-chipped. If she went missing what would I do? Go to the vets and they'd be able to track her down??

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know how much it cost because I won it. No there was no infection and I'm not sure if it hurt as Bob is a 70 pound Sulcata. She injected it into the skin on the back of his neck. He didn't jump or act like it hurt. It was just like a sub q injection, it was easy, the hardest part was chasing him across the waiting room and distracting his attention so she could inject it before he sucked his head back in.
Then I had to go on-line and register it after the Vet sent all the information in to the chip company.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to ask, how did you get bob to the vet? winch and pully? a team of ten strong men to lift him?

S

stells

Over here certain species of tortoises are meant to be microchipped once they reach 10 cm... alot wait until they are much bigger and there have been a few problems with chipping in tortoises that small.... anything that has to have an article 10 has to be chipped if you are wanting to breed or sell... i had 3 done a few months ago at a cost of around £20 each...

M

Maggie Cummings

Ha Ha funny!...My son and his wife hoisted him into the back of their SUV.. and I found out here it costs $39.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I found this female crossing I1 in June. She was apparently crossing to lay eggs. Many cars flew over her as I ran to save her much like poor little Freeway. She was not nearly as friendly and tried to bite many times. I released her into the Chesapeake Bay after taking these pictures.

l_ebbe99e04ad14e2fa0e8428a4fa8dbce.jpg

l_2bfa2132ed4d4286a9f184a49a65d7ac.jpg

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ryanseiler said:
I found this female crossing I1 in June. She was apparently crossing to lay eggs. Many cars flew over her as I ran to save her much like poor little Freeway. She was not nearly as friendly and tried to bite many times. I released her into the Chesapeake Bay after taking these pictures.

l_ebbe99e04ad14e2fa0e8428a4fa8dbce.jpg

l_2bfa2132ed4d4286a9f184a49a65d7ac.jpg

Look how naturally beautiful she looks, we really mess up sometimes don't we!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that face looks plastic. how funny.
i must admit after reading this and hearing that people DO chip thier torts.. We will be scanning lost ones from now on.. and no, we did not before..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ryanseiler said:
I found this female crossing I1 in June.

She's a beautiful diamond backed terrapin! I didn't know they got that big.

Yvonne

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wow that's crazy!! Both of my dogs are chipped but I never would have thought to chip a tort! If Nelson ever gets an outdoor enclosure I might consider chipping him.

Last summer I rescued a turtle that was crossing the street in my neighborhood. There was a pond a few blocks away where I released him (I see turtles there all the time!) He wasn't very friendly but he sure was cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.