Micro chipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamy0712

5 Year Member
Hi all have just booked in my tort to be micro chipped and have been told they will do it under general anaesthetic . I would like to here your views if this is right cause your average cat and dog stay awake.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In the first place, its hard to anesthetize a tortoise, and its not 100% safe to do so.

Maybe they meant they're going to anesthetize the skin around the injection site?????

Katherine

5 Year Member
I do not think it should be necessary to use a general anesthetic to microchip a tortoise. If it were my own tortoise I would decline a procedure in which my animal was being sedated for a voluntary microchip procedure with no medical benefit, doesn't seem worth it to me. I wonder if there was not a miscommunication, and perhaps they meant a local anesthetic, like something topical at the injection site....

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would be afraid he might not wake up. A friend of mine had this happen with a radiated tort.

Katherine

5 Year Member
bigred said:
I would be afraid he might not wake up. A friend of mine had this happen with a radiated tort.

Very very sad, I am so sorry to hear that. I have had to put my tortoises under anesthesia many many times and have never had a bad experience or lost a tortoise but I still wouldn't ever agree to it for an elective procedure; there is always a risk factor involved.

Mareg

5 Year Member
Corona, CA
I know people that have drilled small jokes in their shells and attached a tag with info. Like a dog tag sort of. Is this safe?

Mareg said:
I know people that have drilled small holes* in their shells and attached a tag with info. Like a dog tag sort of. Is this safe?

Should say small holes

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
South East Texas
JoesMum said:
Walking Rock has his dog tag epoxyed on to his shell... There are several photos of him on here

Is that safe to epoxy a tag to their shell? Eventually it will fall off right? I was thinking about micro chipping Clifford today since he has free reign of the back yard now.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I know for dogs and cats it's about 25.00 and then the one time registration fee of 19.00. (Here in Mass)
Sometimes they have clinics, that give Rabies shots and microchipping for even less.
I second the feeling I would skip it if they had to do it under a general, too much risk. And to be honest, most vets around here would never think to scan for a chip if someone brought in a tort they said was their pet.
I know it is becoming more popular, but we are not there quite yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.