Meet Kade

Garrett M

Location (City and/or State)
Horn Lake, Mississippi
Hello. I'm Garrett and I have a 1 year old leopard tortoise named Kade. He is 115 g, which I know is small for age, but he continues to grow and gain weight. He currently is in a 40 gallon tank. I haven't been able to get a nice closed chamber enclosure yet, but will be asap. I tend to feed greens, and veggies bought from grocery store sprinkled with chopped cat grass, zoo med grassland tortoise food moistened, and then calcium a few times a week. I also tried pumpkin this week as a treat and he seemed to like it. tempImagebY0vAv.jpg

Attachments

• tempImage93tlYK.png
    tempImage93tlYK.png
    17.3 MB · Views: 3

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
WTTC guys...............spend a little time and look around. Your observations about the talent here is spot-on Garrett...sharpest knives in the drawer reside here!

Enjoy guys.............

jeff

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Garrett and welcome to you and beautiful little Kade.
This is the caresheet you need to follow as closely as possible to help your baby thrive.
Read that through but ask as many questions as you like.
There's a lot of old information being passed around but you;; only get up to date advice here. Pet stores often see unsuitable and unsafe equipment for profit rather than what's best for torts so check your lamps water dishes thermometers etc here first - we could save you some money!

Garrett M

Horn Lake, Mississippi
Thank you. I'm glad y'all are here to send guidance. I've been looking around the site and am finding very useful information.
Do you have any tips to keep humidity up until I can get a closed chamber enclosure?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you. I'm glad y'all are here to send guidance. I've been looking around the site and am finding very useful information.
Do you have any tips to keep humidity up until I can get a closed chamber enclosure?

Lots of various ways….plexiglass, large rubbermaid lid cut to fit, get a mini pop-up greenhouse & plop the whole enclosure into it, make one out of other types of materials. Need to get creative & think out of the box a bit.

Good luck….

Garrett M

Horn Lake, Mississippi
Lots of various ways….plexiglass, large rubbermaid lid cut to fit, get a mini pop-up greenhouse & plop the whole enclosure into it, make one out of other types of materials. Need to get creative & think out of the box a bit.

Good luck….
would a pop up greenhouse over a rubbermaid water trough be a decent temporary way to retain humidity and keep heat in?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello. I'm Garrett and I have a 1 year old leopard tortoise named Kade. He is 115 g, which I know is small for age, but he continues to grow and gain weight. He currently is in a 40 gallon tank. I haven't been able to get a nice closed chamber enclosure yet, but will be asap. I tend to feed greens, and veggies bought from grocery store sprinkled with chopped cat grass, zoo med grassland tortoise food moistened, and then calcium a few times a week. I also tried pumpkin this week as a treat and he seemed to like it. View attachment 340012
Welcome pics of your setup would be nice. You can use tin foil on top for now to help hold in heat and humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Garrett!