New to Forums, New to Turtles ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Hippo

5 Year Member
So HI Guys!

Im new to caring for turtles and i just got one recently. My turtle is about 1 year old and is a Sulcata Tortoise !!!! He is absolutely adorable and i wish for the very best of him since i invested alot of money into it. I feed him lettuce everyday ( not iceburg lettuce ) and he seems to rather eat alot. But i want to know about his bedding if i am suppose to actually cover the whole bedding or just partially. I tend to clean him twice a week for 10 minutes and he makes quite the poop haha !!!. However he seems to have accumulated leftover food in his mouth and its starting to concern me. I tend to brush him with a toothbrush but he hides back in his shell and i tend to like stuff clean. WHAT DO I DO !?!?!?

Can i have any suggestions for this please ? would love a ASAP Message.

Thanks for your Time

Mr.Hippo

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mr. Hippo:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Do you mean his beak gets discolored by the food, or does he actually have food in his mouth that he doesn't swallow?

Also, I think you need to feed him more of a variety of foods. How big is your tortoise?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
What do you keep your tort in? Do you have a UVA/UVB bulb? How is the temps? As far as bedding, cover the bottom then use a flat rock or tile to feed him on. Do you have a drinking/soaking dish? If you can post a picture it will help us help you. Welcome to TFO :)

Mr.Hippo

5 Year Member
HI !! Yes my Name is Gorman and my turtle is about 13cm in length and 7cm by width, il try to post a picture of his enclosure when i clean it tomorrow. If you want a quick look search up AR4030W Classic Glass Terrarium. Temperatures are from 26 - 32 Deg. I have a drinking dish but he seems to have trouble getting into it and ends up getting evaporated ._. I am currently living in Hong Kong and its pretty humid now and then but right now we hitting Summer so temperatures can be very High. I think im using a UVA light but il show you teh pictures tomorrow :D

Bubba30

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Hello you sulcata owner you. I also have have a sulcata And she eats alot and poops everyday:D. I try feeding her different varieties of food, but surprisely she isn't much of trying new stuff. She sticks to eating my lawn And I also buy her organic spring mix. For bathing her I do it every other day for ten mins or so, sometimes a bit more or a bit less. And for her mouth I use a soft toothbrush or a Q- tip soak in a little bit of water. But when you clean mouth do it very gently. I have had her for five months. But their are people here that have had them for years that can help more then me. So good luck I know you'll do good.

XOXOX BUBBA AND CARLA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gorman:

If you can find a UVB light in Hong Kong, that would be better than the UVA light. Also getting the tortoise out into the sun is very good for it.

Mr.Hippo

5 Year Member
And im using corncob grain as bedding

is corncob brain bad for a bedding ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Yes corn cob bedding is bad. It is potentially dangerous in a couple of ways. Impaction and mold. It also does not allow you to use a lot of moisture to generate humidity.

Click on the link that Corey posted above in post #4. There are lots of suggestions for good bedding there as well as diet and care info.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Hello & Welcome, First To Start Off You Want To Give Him a Varied Diet, Since hes Older You Want Him To Graze
On Natural Grown Products, Grasses, Dandelions, Rose Pedals, etc

Heres A Great Link, http://www.sulcata-station.org/diet.html

Also You Want To Give Him Lots Of Natural Sunlight and Excerise Try To Get Him Outside
as Much As Possable, If You Work Build A Safe outdoor Enclsoure So You Dont Have To watch Him!

You want To keeep him Humid Spray His Shell & Enclosure several times daily!

and Light Do You Have A UVB AND heat Lamp, If So What Kind!

bedding you want it to be deep in the cage so they can burrow or dig in the corners etc,
you also want something that keeps in mosture too!

i use zoomed cocnut fiber and bark! But Some People Use cyrpess mulch, bark etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.