Hello! Meet me and Otto!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scawtey

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

My name is Scott and I'm excited to join the TortoiseForum Family! My girlfriend recently got me a wonderful birthday present, a 1 year old Sulcata Tortoise. I currently have him in this set up:

-10 gallon tank
-Hollow log fixture for shelter
-Heat mat on one side of the cage
-Coconut Fiber Substrate
-Food Dish
-Thermometers on each side of the tank

I'm wanting to know what the best food is for him. I purchased some zoo-med pellets and also some Calcium powder to put on them, as well as some romaine lettuce. I also plan on building a turtle box before too long, since it sounds like he will be outgrowing his cage quickly.

Please let me know anything else I need to know about raising my young tortoise!

Here he is, meet Otto :]

1gIvQ.jpg

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here. Is it the angle of the pic or does otto look a little flat? Otto is a palindrome BTW.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum. Wow, I am sure Tom will kick in before long :p
If it were me, as far as what you are keeping him in, I would go to walmart or lowes and get the biggest rubber maid tub you can find. Sully's need tons of space! The one i got for my sully was like $20 or so. Its like a 55 gallon size I believe. I will just stop there for now.... Good luck...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do you have a basking lamp? Your tort needs 95-100 directly under that.

Basking helps your tort to digest food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME. Please, please read the threads at the bottom of my post. They will help you raise a happy, healthy, smooth sulcata. The 10 gallon tank is way to small and will be impossible to hold the right temps. and humidity will be hard because it will probably always be too wet. Get the plastic tote as suggested, they are cheaper then buying a larger aquarium and then follow the threads below. Diet should be mixed dark greens and outside in warm/hot weather for some grazing on pesticide/fertilizer free grass and weeds. Good luck.

Scawtey

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the help! I am going right now to get a plastic tub. I think the store I live by has a 35gallon as their largest. Then will I just fill the substrate up at the bottom? Also, The heating pad should still go right under the plastic?

One more question, I read somewhere this morning that you should not keep the water dish in the cage, as the humidity from it can cause RI's. Is this true?

Thank you again!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Humidity does not cause RI's RI's are caused by being cold and wet, it is always good to keep a water dish for them.

Scawtey

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Humidity does not cause RI's RI's are caused by being cold and wet, it is always good to keep a water dish for them.

Thank you for clearing this up! I am going to go and get a plastic tub right now, and set everything back up and I'll take a picture of it all when it's done.

Thanks again for the help everyone

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A heat pad is not particularly effective IMO. Most people use a basking lamp and maybe a ceramic heat emitter to maintain temps at night.

You must have a UVB source. The coil bulbs are not recommended as they can cause eye damage.

Many TFO members swear by a combined MVB lamp by day which provides both basking heat and UVB.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
As far as heating mine, I have the top over half cover'd up, then I have a thick screen with a metal frame on the hot end that came off of a smaller glass aquarium that the UVB/heat light sits on. My tub stays at just the right temps.

Scawtey

5 Year Member
Another question,

Should I keep his lamp on with the Blue Day Bulb on all the time? Or at night time should I switch it to an Infrared Heat bulb?

Scawtey

5 Year Member
Thank you all! This forum has provided me with so much more information than I could ever find on the web. I'm looking forward to learning a lot about parenting my tortoise, and my stay here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! At night, turn off the day light as they need "nighttime" too for their sleeping cycle. You can use the other light, but I really don't like using them myself. Why are you wanting to use it? If I need extra heat, especially for like at night when I don't want light, a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) works well.

jacquiroell

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
If I need extra heat, especially for like at night when I don't want light, a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) works well.

What wattage do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.