Meet Huck !!! Born May 1st 2016 !!!

itiswhatitis

WOW - you have done your homework for sure! Huck is very handsome! Glad he has a responsibly owner. I myself use the dual temp/humidity disc thermometers for the past year and Irwin has grown leaps and bounds with no health problems (to date!). I got him from my daughter who was going off to college..... he was a year when I got him. Huck will grow so fast....take tons of pictures! I have a weight/length chart and I do this monthly. When Irwin was put in my care (7/30/15) - he weighed 6 1/4 ounces and was 3 1/2 inches. As of 8/14/16 - he's 6lbs 8 ozs and 10 1/2 inches!
So - keep doing what you're doing - use this forum - it is WONDERFUL - and Huck will have a long healthy life :)

Thanks !!! I read a lot here before I joined. Had everything setup before purchase. I do have a boxie I've had for 15+ years so I wasn't 100% clueless lol. To me the biggest thing is to have the WANT to go the full distance ya know. If you want it bad enough you will do it. Thanks again for the kind words !!!

TSchadel

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Thanks !!! I read a lot here before I joined. Had everything setup before purchase. I do have a boxie I've had for 15+ years so I wasn't 100% clueless lol. To me the biggest thing is to have the WANT to go the full distance ya know. If you want it bad enough you will do it. Thanks again for the kind words !!!
I actually have a box turtle in my backyard as well - have had for the past 5 years. Box Turtles are native to Kansas (they are our state reptile) and I literally do nothing for Boxy but make sure he has water. He hibernates in the winter and I see him again when it's warm. He and Irwin have become friends - sort of - this summer when Irwin went out for the summer...

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Wow we are only 2 weeks apart !!!
I need to get a scale actually. We have some of those head shop places in gas stations around here that sell pipes. I think they have gram scales to. I'm going to get one tomorrow. He does eat very well though so hopefully he's growing. How much did yours weigh when you get her?
Well, even if yours was June 1, we are still only 2 weeks apart. She weighed 42g when I got her. Be nice to have some comparison.

TSchadel

Kansas
Well, even if yours was June 1, we are still only 2 weeks apart. She weighed 42g when I got her. Be nice to have some comparison.
I'm going with June because the kids got Irwin from a pet shop in September 2015 and were told the he was about 12 weeks old. No way to know for sure - he could have been 8 weeks for all we know. The pet shop gave them very bad instructions - like NO HUMIDITY, HIGH HEAT, etc. So from September 2014 to when I got him - July 2015 - he was kept in a 10 gallon aquarium with a big heat lamp. He has some pyramiding - but it stopped when I got him because I did research :) :)

itiswhatitis

I'm going with June because the kids got Irwin from a pet shop in September 2015 and were told the he was about 12 weeks old. No way to know for sure - he could have been 8 weeks for all we know. The pet shop gave them very bad instructions - like NO HUMIDITY, HIGH HEAT, etc. So from September 2014 to when I got him - July 2015 - he was kept in a 10 gallon aquarium with a big heat lamp. He has some pyramiding - but it stopped when I got him because I did research :) :)

Lol I'm nervous !!! I hope huck isn't under weight !!! I'm heading to gas station now to see if the have scales !!! I feel like he eats pretty well though !!!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
What a cute little tort ! i agree with getting a digital thermometer though. I had 2 of the dial thermometers and then a member told me they were inaccurate. I got 2 different digital probe thermometer/hygrometer (both have probes, one from walmart, and the other from petsmart because I wanted to make sure I was getting the correct temp) and it turned out that my enclosure was off by a whole 10F. my basking spot end up being around 110, and everywhere else was very hot. This explains why my tortoises liked to dig and hide often.
I still keep 2 thermometers just to make sure one isn't going bad. and I move them from the hot side to the cold side often. I always keep a probe on the basking spot though. Gotta make sure my babies arent getting baked. But I can usually tell if its too hot when I see them sitting to the side of the basking lamp, not directly under it.

itiswhatitis

What a cute little tort ! i agree with getting a digital thermometer though. I had 2 of the dial thermometers and then a member told me they were inaccurate. I got 2 different digital probe thermometer/hygrometer (both have probes, one from walmart, and the other from petsmart because I wanted to make sure I was getting the correct temp) and it turned out that my enclosure was off by a whole 10F. my basking spot end up being around 110, and everywhere else was very hot. This explains why my tortoises liked to dig and hide often.
I still keep 2 thermometers just to make sure one isn't going bad. and I move them from the hot side to the cold side often. I always keep a probe on the basking spot though. Gotta make sure my babies arent getting baked. But I can usually tell if its too hot when I see them sitting to the side of the basking lamp, not directly under it.

Yeah I ordered to gun for the heck of it. The thing to remember about your basking spot and thermometer is that unless the thermometer is laying directly under the light spot ( not on the wall or glass ) it will be off for sure. But I did order the gun for more precise temps. Do you use the hydrometers for humidity readings ?

itiswhatitis

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471313552.778997.jpg
Wtf !!!!

He eats all the time I don't understand.
He's very very active as well !!!

itiswhatitis

Well crap !!! Could still be wrong I need to calibrate the scales !!! 500 grams is what it's asking for. I'll take jewelry scale tomorrow get calibrated.

itiswhatitis

I literally just got the little guy. I really hope the scales are wrong :( !!! This will really bother me. I got all the right lights / substrate / food / bowls / hides / I soak / I spray / I take outside !!!! I hope he is ok !!! I've raised my boxie for 15+ years without a single problem !!! Hope I didn't jack up something here !!!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Yeah I ordered to gun for the heck of it. The thing to remember about your basking spot and thermometer is that unless the thermometer is laying directly under the light spot ( not on the wall or glass ) it will be off for sure. But I did order the gun for more precise temps. Do you use the hydrometers for humidity readings ?
Yes the temp probe is placed directly under the basking lamp :)
And yes hydrometers for humidity.
But good call on the gun. I want to buy one once school expense and a bigger enclosure are taken care of.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I wouldn't worry about his weight so much... I would worry if he doesn't gain weight in time. You haven't had him long.

Get some Mazuri.

Nadine was 88 grams tonight.

itiswhatitis

I have the mazuri I grind it up on the weeds and spring mix ... Only way I can get him to eat it right now. Hoping he will take a liking to it eventually. Hoping after I get calibration correct have a better number. I don't mind the number really. I just want him to be ok ya know.

Nadine = 88 grams !!! BEAST LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's what it was saying about the humidity and low temp but I've heard plenty say they let there night temp go to 70-75. If the humidity is high at that night temp will there be a problem? Thanks BTW

You are reading old outdated info, and mixing it with some of the new info. This is dangerous. The problem with "research" is that most of what is written out there is based on incorrect assumptions about the wild where sulcatas come from, and a lack of understanding about how they live in those areas. Cool night temps coupled with high humidity can indeed lead to respiratory infection. You need the high humidity to simulate the monsoon season that this species hatches into, but you must also use the monsoon season warm temps with it. Don't let your night temp drop below 80ish. 79 is not the end of the world, but 70-75 could be the end of your tortoises world.

Yes, the humid hide should be a more humid area than the rest of the enclosure.

I too have found the stick on disc type thermometers to be problematic. They are unreliable and frequently off by a lot.

I would also change out those water dishes. The sides are too tall and steep for a baby. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best. I use 4" saucers to start baby sulcatas. I'd get a third one for the food too. Putting the food on that flat rock will result in your sulcata spreading the food all over the place and eating a fair amount of substrate with the food. No matter what you do, they tend to make a mess of the food, but dishes help contain it a bit more.

About his/her size: Where did you get the tortoise? How was it started? Wet or dry routine?

Give these a read through. They will explain all of this in more detail:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

itiswhatitis

You are reading old outdated info, and mixing it with some of the new info. This is dangerous. The problem with "research" is that most of what is written out there is based on incorrect assumptions about the wild where sulcatas come from, and a lack of understanding about how they live in those areas. Cool night temps coupled with high humidity can indeed lead to respiratory infection. You need the high humidity to simulate the monsoon season that this species hatches into, but you must also use the monsoon season warm temps with it. Don't let your night temp drop below 80ish. 79 is not the end of the world, but 70-75 could be the end of your tortoises world.

Yes, the humid hide should be a more humid area than the rest of the enclosure.

I too have found the stick on disc type thermometers to be problematic. They are unreliable and frequently off by a lot.

I would also change out those water dishes. The sides are too tall and steep for a baby. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best. I use 4" saucers to start baby sulcatas. I'd get a third one for the food too. Putting the food on that flat rock will result in your sulcata spreading the food all over the place and eating a fair amount of substrate with the food. No matter what you do, they tend to make a mess of the food, but dishes help contain it a bit more.

About his/her size: Where did you get the tortoise? How was it started? Wet or dry routine?

Give these a read through. They will explain all of this in more detail:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Understood, I'll grab some of the dishes. I also have the humidity up as I stated using the very very wet method you have used in the passed.

I got him from a guy online. I had planned on purchasing one anyways then ran across this little guy. I figured why not try and give him a home. I do know what online vendor he came from but don't want to say in the case I got the wrong information. But I have seen the receipt from where "I was told" he was purchased.
The vendor from what I have read isn't the worst but also far from the best. All I saw was a tortoise in 10 gallon aquarium that needed better care. SO I BOUGHT HIM !!! Lol !!!

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Understood, I'll grab some of the dishes. I also have the humidity up as I stated using the very very wet method you have used in the passed.

I got him from a guy online. I had planned on purchasing one anyways then ran across this little guy. I figured why not try and give him a home. I do know what online vendor he came from but don't want to say in the case I got the wrong information. But I have seen the receipt from where "I was told" he was purchased.
The vendor from what I have read isn't the worst but also far from the best. All I saw was a tortoise in 10 gallon aquarium that needed better care. SO I BOUGHT HIM !!! Lol !!!

I can only guess, but when they act normal, but don't grow much sometimes this is the explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

And for future reference, this is how it should be done, or something similar, so you know what questions to ask of a seller:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
Sadly, most breeders do not do it this way. They are still using the old dry methods.

itiswhatitis

That really sucks !! Maybe Huck will pull through I'm not giving up on him.
Is it possible they have no idea when he was born and just lied. As I look through the thread. Huck is weight of some of the 3-6 week olds. Also his length when I got him. I emailed the place he was originally purchased instead of taking guy I got him froms word. Maybe they keep record possibly. The guy I got him from said I could use in name and stuff to get whatever info I needed on Huck.
Thanks for the information Tom

I went down this morning and purchased a cactus and terra cotta dishes. A bigger one for his food though. Burned off all the spines and grinded it down on pavement then washed it off.
He loves it !!!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin

Yes, the worst way to buy a pet. However, I have done the same! Hard to pass up a mistreated animal.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
That really sucks !! Maybe Huck will pull through I'm not giving up on him.
Is it possible they have no idea when he was born and just lied. As I look through the thread. Huck is weight of some of the 3-6 week olds. Also his length when I got him. I emailed the place he was originally purchased instead of taking guy I got him froms word. Maybe they keep record possibly. The guy I got him from said I could use in name and stuff to get whatever info I needed on Huck.
Thanks for the information Tom

I went down this morning and purchased a cactus and terra cotta dishes. A bigger one for his food though. Burned off all the spines and grinded it down on pavement then washed it off.
He loves it !!!
Still way too early to worry.