Meet Henrietta!

Rhiannon

Hi there! I actually joined this forum a few months ago to ask about some worries I had about my Hermann's Tortoise, Henrietta, but I never formally introduced myself. I adopted Henrietta a year ago from a family that didn't want her anymore (and I re-named her and changed her diet). They said she is 12 years old. I researched and checked myself and found that she is, in fact, a girl. I was worried that her previous family might not have cared for her correctly, but she has been completely healthy. I never had a tortoise before, so I researched Hermann's in all my spare time before I took her, and since then, I've been reading all I can about them. Her level of curiosity and interactiveness are a complete surprise and source of joy for my husband and I, and after we got to know her, we built her a 4x6 oak indoor enclosure, and we're hoping to make her an outside setup for the warmer months. I have included a picture of her living space and picture of my kitty meeting her for the first time. Thank you to everyone on this forum who has offered me insight and suggestions so far!IMG_2206.jpg IMG_1380.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. She is beautiful. It is dangerous to let them roam on the floor. Lots of horror stories. I read about a sulcatas not long ago whose head got smashed in a door. Besides it is usually too cold on the floor. Cats can be a problem too. Not as bad as dogs, but occasionally a cat will chew on a tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and a belated welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What a lovely girl you have and a really nice (Little) enclosure.
I'm sure you keep a close eye on her when she's loose on the floor, my little girl needs the space of the whole apartment sometimes as she soon gets bored of even her 6' by 10' enclosure, but I must be sure that there are no dust bunnies or little objects she could eat as they will try to eat lots of objects that could do them harm. I don't have doors, except at the entrance. Be watchful of the cat too, obviously. For me it's tortoise, so no cat, but some cats are fine with reptiles, or so I've heard.
Good luck

Rhiannon

Thanks for the welcome!

Don't worry, Henrietta doesn't roam around; I put her on my white tiled floor for a photo shoot to show off her lovely bright and dark colors. Unlike the picture suggests, my cat is completely uninterested in her. Either way, the cat isn't allowed in the room with the tort enclosure, which is a sun room of sorts.

Anyway, that's one thing I like about this forum so far: people don't hesitate to educate newbies about possible issues. I don't personally know a single person who has a tortoise other than me, so I welcome any suggestions the people on here have to offer.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi. She is beautiful. So glad you have decided to tell us a bit about you. :)

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Henrietta is lovely. You also have built a wonderful enclosure. Henrietta is lucky to have found you.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! !

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome, don't worry we'll always butt in and point out things that re wrong, always making sure everyone's tort has the best :)

Rhiannon

Thanks for the warm welcome! I love looking at all the beautiful pictures people on this forum post of their torts! I'll have to add some of my own soon...

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks for the welcome!

Don't worry, Henrietta doesn't roam around; I put her on my white tiled floor for a photo shoot to show off her lovely bright and dark colors. Unlike the picture suggests, my cat is completely uninterested in her. Either way, the cat isn't allowed in the room with the tort enclosure, which is a sun room of sorts.

Anyway, that's one thing I like about this forum so far: people don't hesitate to educate newbies about possible issues. I don't personally know a single person who has a tortoise other than me, so I welcome any suggestions the people on here have to offer.
I have 3 cats and about 12 chelonia, and only the new kitten (Trouble) cares about the tortoises, most cats don't bother them, but Trouble is a cat of a different color....IMG_4723.JPG Welcome!