New Table Concerns

Rhiannon

Hello! I recently made a new table for my 12-year-old Hermann's, Henrietta. It is a 6x4 oak table with peat moss bedding, potted shade plants, and a mercury vapor bulb. I did a lot of research when designing it, but now that Henrietta is in there, I have two concerns that I had not foreseen. First of all, peat moss seems dusty (for lack of a better word), and although I spray it often to keep it moist, I'm concerned about her breathing it in. I'd really appreciate any thoughts, especially from people who use peat moss as bedding. Also, I didn't know how well torts climb until I saw her trying to get into the potted plants! It makes me wonder if I should take them out, because I'm concerned that she will end up tipping over on her back. She seems to really like sitting under the plants, but is it true that my tort will die if she falls over on her back? As you can see, I'm a new tort keeper (I've had Henrietta for about a year), so any input will be much appreciated! Have a great day! -Rhiannon

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about the moss, but yes, they can die if on their back for too long or some fall on their backs under the heat lights and even drown in the water dish. I would add more substrate and plant the plants right in the substrate. This way she can still have her plants, but in a safe way.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
You can also sink your pots down in the substrate a few inches. She can climb in and out without falling, she still gets the benefit of the humidity from the plants and a place to hide (which helps her feel less stressed.) My Hermann's, Elsa, loves to dig under plants to sleep. I have organic potting soil to the depth of 4 inches throughout my indoor enclosure, and have some plants (Boston fern, Maranta, Spider Plant and Wandering Jew) Planted directly in the dirt. I also have aloe vera and a big pot of Wandering Jew partially sunk into the soil. She loves to dig down and sleep among the damp roots. The plants don't like it much, but they're replaceable!!! :p

Rhiannon

Great, thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll add some potting soil to the peat moss. Hopefully, that will help the dustiness of the peat moss, and then I'll have enough substrate to plant things for her right in there. I'm sure she'll love that!