Meet Clyde from Arizona

ClydesMom

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi, This is Clyde (I think it's a boy). He was given to me but with very little information about him. I have never owned a tortoise before and I have read a lot online but find some conflicting information. I was going to re-home him because I feel like I don't know what I'm doing but these people were going to turn it lose in the dessert and I thought that would be wrong. The people who answered my ad wanted to breed him and I feel like there are already too many of them. So here we are, to learn and get advice on what we are doing right and wrong.

I keep him outside most of the day and bring him in at night until can finish his home outside. I'm wondering is there any plants that are toxic to tortoise's? He loves to burrow under lantana bushes and just would like to know if that's ok or can they make him sick? I have no idea how old he is, he is about 10 inches front to back of his shell. He poops plenty and I feed him a diet of soaked desert tortoise pellets, mixed greens, dandelion greens, turnip/mustard greens and timothy hay every other day, sometimes roses or hibiscus flower/leaves. (I read where they shouldn't be fed daily, is this true?) I sprinkle calcium on his greens a few times a week and I soak him in the tub a few times a week for about 20 minutes.

I don't have a huge space for him, it's going to be more long than wide, probably around 10' wide and 20' long with a burrow hole that is dirt. There is a sunny area and much shade from citrus trees. The trees get soaked and I felt like that moisture would be good for him and keep his area humid. Do you think that will work? He seems to want to hide under the bushes most of the day... is that normal? Thanks for any help you can offer while we get started!

Attachments

• IMG_5952.JPG
    IMG_5952.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 46

ClydesMom

Phoenix, Arizona
So glad you got him. He can't be turned loose in the desert like the others wanted too. He is a sulcata and lantana is not good for them. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/...twords&searchtxt=Lantana&x=0&y=0#.WsfDH0FOnv4
Thank you for that link! I was letting him roam my garden but then was afraid tomato plants, pepper plants and some of the herbs there would make him sick but then he decided his new favorite place is under the lantana and then I worried about that. LOL! I'll have to get his enclosure all finished up this weekend so he will only have controlled plants to eat. I have some slabs of flagstone under there that I pile food on so he is already used to eating there. Thanks again!

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
Yes he is a Sulcata tortoise native to Africa. Turning him loose in the Arizona dessert would be a death sentence. It is very good Clyde found you. This site is filled with experienced people that will make your tortoise journey easier to navigate. Welcome!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome and all the best, seems like Clyde got lucky!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! There is indeed a lot of old, incorrect information on the internet, even from some breeders and pet stores. :(

Our sulcata sub forum is up to date with info from long term owners and successful breeders. You can trust it.

ClydesMom

Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Since I last posted, I have created an area for Clyde that is separated... my my dog George likes to jump the fence and poop in there. To be fair, it was his favorite pooping spot to start with but I also think he likes the tortoise. His new enclosure is about 15' wide and 40' long. It is shaded by citrus trees and has nice sunny area's that stay sunny all day. There is some flag stone areas where he likes to hang out and sun himself. I created a hidey-hole for him by turning over a cement mixing trough, cutting a large door in it and then covering it with dirt and gravel to insulate it. It has reptile bedding inside that he can burrow in to keep warm if he needs to. I think it is funny that Clyde "Frog Dogs" like George, my pittie. LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_6036.JPG
    IMG_6036.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6024.JPG
    IMG_6024.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6030.JPG
    IMG_6030.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6042.JPG
    IMG_6042.JPG