MEE Hatching Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Finally a success for me with Manouria Emys Emys. After searching for 7 years for the right male, he did the trick with a good year of constant breeding. 76 days to incubate and the first one has hatched out. So different than my usual dealings of all the other torts hatching out. These guys are soft shelled eggs so they just kinda tear through once they shell gets leathery. This little guy has been doing good at sucking up his embryonic sac for the past day. Id say a few more days and he will burst all the way out.
DSC01395.jpg

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01394.jpg

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
They are so cute right out of the egg... it kinda looks like his biggest issue getting out of there is working around his giant yolk thingy :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
LOL @ neal.

Thanks barb.

they are very cute out of the egg. Definitely a big sac he needs to suck in. hes getting there though. about another day in the hatchery and he will be free of the egg and in the nursery.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Im surprised at how much sac there is.. I thought there would be more tortoise in the egg at hatching...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Me too. Ive never hatched any of these guys. Might just be a premi, or maybe thats how they do it. I know the eggs are absolutely massive compared to any other egg I have seen, even aldabras. There are 2 more wiggling around there eggs should be tearing through any minute. Maybe we will see if they are the same way.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Glad to see you are having success with this species. I hope they become more common someday.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Baoh said:
Glad to see you are having success with this species. I hope they become more common someday.

I hope so too. They really are an amazing species that have very unique lifestyle unlike any other chelonian.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Congrats, that is most excellent!

That is a huge yolk, I hope all goes well with it.
It looks a little light in color, what is the average lenght of incubation?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It is starting to worry me a bit that the others are still incubating and this one came out a little earlier. The range is 66-90 days. I had this batch at 81.2-83.4 F and this one came out at 76 days. The sac is kinda sucking up a little but hes getting a little lethargic. I hate to say this but im not sure if this one will make it. Seems to be a premi. I just don't know with this species, I hope he pulls through being the first out.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
tortadise said:
It is starting to worry me a bit that the others are still incubating and this one came out a little earlier. The range is 66-90 days. I had this batch at 81.2-83.4 F and this one came out at 76 days. The sac is kinda sucking up a little but hes getting a little lethargic. I hate to say this but im not sure if this one will make it. Seems to be a premi. I just don't know with this species, I hope he pulls through being the first out.

Poor thing. All I can say is I can't imagine too many people that he would be in better hands with than you to help him pull through. Good luck little fella!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
CourtneyAndCarl said:
tortadise said:

Poor thing. All I can say is I can't imagine too many people that he would be in better hands with than you to help him pull through. Good luck little fella!

Thank you. Unfortunately he did not make it as of a few minutes ago. Really bummed about it. My first experience with these guys hatching for me. However I still feel this one came out a little to early given his size of sac, and lack of attempt in crawling out of the egg, also that any others have decided to break free as well. I still have hope the others will come out and be healthy and make it to the world, and thrive to live a full life.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
tortadise said:
CourtneyAndCarl said:
tortadise said:

Thank you. Unfortunately he did not make it as of a few minutes ago. Really bummed about it. My first experience with these guys hatching for me. However I still feel this one came out a little to early given his size of sac, and lack of attempt in crawling out of the egg, also that any others have decided to break free as well. I still have hope the others will come out and be healthy and make it to the world, and thrive to live a full life.

Oh, I'm sorry :( I would consider it a good sign that the others have decided to wait a little longer to make their debut

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Its the neatest thing. I bet you enjoy watching him. I hope he is OK and pulls thru..
Oh, no...I just read, he didn't make it...poor guy.....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I agree. Lets hope and fingers crossed they come out and show the world they can and will survive. I have lined up a research necropsy and analysis of this specimen in the name of science and more of an understanding of what went wrong. Hopefully the biologist and vets at Texas A&M can find a reason as to what went wrong, along with other many scientific data. Man this sucks. We can only learn though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, its a preemy. They usually look (yolk sac-wise) exactly like other tort species. Some have a bit of yolk and some have already absorbed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.