Meal worm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
I just heard that meal worms can eat through the stomachs of turtles? Is this true.

josh__239

5 Year Member
I have hered this with mealworms eating through lizard stomachs but not tortoises. I use to have a lizard an I would feed it mealworms from time to time but nothing ever happend to him. I don't think they can but I could be wrong...

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
I've been wanting to post a question if meal worms can be fed whole to EBTs or if the heads have to be cut off....I've read both...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I would doubt that's true. Mine snap them in half or so almost immediately. I would suggest using superworms instead of mealworms though.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah mealworms won't eat through a boxies stomach they have very string stomach acid as well as above stated never seen a box turtle eat a meal worm whole, always a bite bite chomp swallow lol. Some lizards will eat them whole and I can see where they can probably do damage even then it's gotta be rare.

One thing I will say tho. I fed a box turtle a meal worm and the turtle attacked it from behind. Meal work was chomped half way and just so happen to reach around and chomp on the turtle right above the eye and left a real nasty bump. I always recommend if you feed meal worms to cut heads of especially for babies because those jaws are no joke. I would believe if it didn't happen to my little girl threetoed. I like to past the info down tho

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It is a myth. Mealworms do not eat through the stomach of lizards or turtles. If you put a mealworm in liquid, it dies quickly. Besides, as stated above boxies tend to bite a mealie several times before eating it. When I give my boxie mealworms sometimes the worm is dead before he swallows it. And there is no need to cut heads off of mealworms. Superworms maybe, but not mealworms.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
No they don't eat through the stomachs but if it is one of the main things you feed it the shells around the mealworms can become hard to digest and in some cases impaction

zman7590

5 Year Member
not gonna happen...have had it happen to gecko before but its really rare with them and would be near impossible with torts

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
lisa127 said:
It is a myth. Mealworms do not eat through the stomach of lizards or turtles. If you put a mealworm in liquid, it dies quickly. Besides, as stated above boxies tend to bite a mealie several times before eating it. When I give my boxie mealworms sometimes the worm is dead before he swallows it. And there is no need to cut heads off of mealworms. Superworms maybe, but not mealworms.

Bigger meal worms can possibly fight back, all depends. I never cut the heads off for adults, and never feed mealworms for my babies so no need for it. And yes they are a little tougher to digest and it really should be part of a diet not the diet

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Millerlite said:
lisa127 said:

Bigger meal worms can possibly fight back, all depends. I never cut the heads off for adults, and never feed mealworms for my babies so no need for it. And yes they are a little tougher to digest and it really should be part of a diet not the diet

Even the biggest/oldest mealworms are small. Now superworms, they get big.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you...I'll check into getting some of those. Do you have a preferred place to order them from online? Thank you.

kimber_lee_314 said:
I would doubt that's true. Mine snap them in half or so almost immediately. I would suggest using superworms instead of mealworms though.

Thank you; good info.

Millerlite said:
Yeah mealworms won't eat through a boxies stomach they have very string stomach acid as well as above stated never seen a box turtle eat a meal worm whole, always a bite bite chomp swallow lol. Some lizards will eat them whole and I can see where they can probably do damage even then it's gotta be rare.

One thing I will say tho. I fed a box turtle a meal worm and the turtle attacked it from behind. Meal work was chomped half way and just so happen to reach around and chomp on the turtle right above the eye and left a real nasty bump. I always recommend if you feed meal worms to cut heads of especially for babies because those jaws are no joke. I would believe if it didn't happen to my little girl threetoed. I like to past the info down tho

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
lisa127 said:
Millerlite said:
lisa127 said:

I use to breed mealworms just cuz it was cheaper, never bred superworms, don't they become flies? Or maybe that were waxworms idk, my box turtles would eat the Beatles too. Lol

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Millerlite said:
lisa127 said:
Millerlite said:
lisa127 said:

I use to breed mealworms just cuz it was cheaper, never bred superworms, don't they become flies? Or maybe that were waxworms idk, my box turtles would eat the Beatles too. Lol

Super worms and meal worms are both the larvae of types of darkling beetles. Wax worms are moth larvae.

Phoenix worms/Calciworms/Reptiworms/Soldier Grubs all refer to Black Soldier Fly Larvae.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I hope it's not true! Did you know if you swallow a (not frozen) pea whole it will grow inside of you? I don't think this is true, but my friend told this to me a little while ago.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I raise. My own mealworms for my box turtles , and turtles not because its cheaper but because they are what they eat most people give them potatoes , I give mine fruit veggys of all kinds. I don't want them raised in chicken meal , I use oat meal w/o hormons, chemicals, or poison substances . I know what I'm feeding and its not cheaper .

zman7590

5 Year Member
Oatmeal is the best to feed em with a little carrots

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have never heard of this, and I always feed them to my adult Box turtles. I never feed them to hatchlings any more, because I threw some in a vivarium that I had two hatchlings in and they didn't eat them, and they turned into beetles and they ate the two hatchlings. It took all of two days. When I dug them up to feed them there was nothing left but two totally empty shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.