Maggie

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Hey all...I just wanted to let everybody know what happened to me this week. It's been raining like heck here for about a week and I didn't pressure wash off the back steps and paint with what ever I was supposed to use to make them not so slimy...so Monday I fell down them and broke my right foot. I broke 3 toes and the bone that comes down into your big toe from your leg, and then yesterday I was hobbling down those same stairs to go feed Bob and fell and scattered his and Queenie's food all over the yard and it looks like my left ankle is broken. It's huge swolled (is that a word?) up and I can't move my foot or bend my ankle. My son is on his way over now to take me to the Dr's. I freakin hate this. I hate having to have someone help me. Anyhow, that's what is happening in my world...what's going on in yours? Betcha can't beat that...:D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Oh my goodness Maggie. One foot wasn't good enough , you have to go an mess up both. ;)
I am sorry the rain gods frowned upon you this week and the wet stairs trolls caused you to fall not once but twice.
I understand how you could hate to have people help you. I'm sort of the same way. I have done everything so long myself and I like it that way, its my independance. But it is a good thing you have someone up there that can help, even if you want to do it all yourself. Sounds like you will be housebound for a while with lil Roxie and Max to entertain you.
I can't beat it. But I hope you mend quickly my friend. Sorry for the bad luck please keep us informed on the outcome.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
O no Maggie :( Grrr I hate it when it rains and everything is slipery. I hope your ankle is not broken. Good luck and keep us updated.

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
Wow, what bad luck for you this week! Nope, I can't 'beat that'~ I hope you get the care you need to be on the mend sooner than later.

Any chance that Bob has 'service tort' skills? Like bring the paper, fetch the remote, get juice from the frig?? We look forward to hearing that you are back on your feet soon! JD

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, gee Maggie, I don't know who'd want to beat that! So sorry you've got both feet in a big pickle. You know you're going to have to stay off your feet for a while, won't you? - and you're not going to try going down those steps on crutches, right? So, what shall we do to entertain you while you're healing besides TFO? Computer games? A little Freeslots.com perhaps? Cha-ching! Let us know how you're doing.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Poor Maggie!!! :( I don't think anyone could beat that with a long shot..Get well soon! Keep us informed! =]

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Poor Maggie. No, I don't want to beat that record. I can imagine what must have passed through your head as you took your second tumble, other than the obvious invectives, of course!;)

I like Jdawn's suggestion of training Bob as a service tort; the imagery brought on the best laugh of the day from me...I can also see Bob staying at the fridge to clean it out before bringing you your juice, stepping on the remote accidentally, creating another slippery pile in the hallway you have to traverse to get to the bathroom. There are just all kinds of amusing possibilities!

Seriously, though, I hope you are able to hobble around enough to take care of yourself, and have someone nearby to take care of the torts! Also, look into getting a knee-scooter if you cannot put weight on your broken foot. I used one after my bunion surgery and they are INFINITELY better than crutches! You can keep the injured foot up but can roll around and use your hands, plus mine had a little basket to put mail, food, or other items in while wheeling to the next location. I have loaned it out about four times this year as it is such a good alternative to crutches or wheelchair.:p

Good luck! Hope you heal fast, or Bob may be coming into the house to see where you are anyway!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No one wants to beat that. Wow! I wish there was someone to stay with you so you could relax a little for a change. Be better Maggie...hugs.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sorry Maggie. I hope you get better quickly. Keep us posted!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm sorry you hurt yourself Maggie. Do you need someone to babysit Bob for you? I wish I was closer I'd come help you out. If you would like you can put him and Queenie on a bus and send them to me. :p I've got a pretty big backyard for Bob to play in and I'm sure Emma (my Chocolate Lab) wouldn't mind sharing it. :D

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Don't hesitate to ask me for help... I will be gone this weekend however

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks so much for all the good thoughts I really appreciate it. I went to the ER yesterday and my regular Doctor and the end result being I have 3 broken toes and another broken bone in my right foot. There's a couple of chips out too but I didn't much understand what he was saying. He had a thick accent that I couldn't understand.
My left ankle is a catastrophic sprain. So I am limited to laying on the couch for a while.
Ginger and her husband are coming over this afternoon in between storms and he is going to pressure wash my back steps and my deck. That will get the slime off and make the stairs not slippery. How's that for friends!!! They just decided to help and are going to do that for me. I SO much appreciate that. I will be able to use those stairs all winter without the fear of slipping anymore. Gosh that's nice! wonderful friends!
I actually think they are using this as an excuse to figure out how to kidnap Bob...:)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Maggie, I am glad your ankle is not broken but sorry to hear to it is sprained. That is sooo nice of your friends to do that, you have really good friends :). But maybe you should put a camera to be sure that they do not make a plan to kidnap your Bob :p :D lol.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh Maggie, isn't it awful how we just take so many things for granted. Like walking for instance. I always tease people at work when they ask what we have been doing, and say, well it's not like I have been sitting on the couch eating bon bons. I guess you could actually do that and not feel guilty!
Take care and don't push it too fast, as I am sure, even not knowing you, you will do. Take the time it takes to heal and heal right the first time.
Na

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Take care of yourself Maggie...and don't worry about Bob, he wouldn't let anyone take him from his Food Goddess and 100lb pumpkin:) But I can see him climbing up the steps and ramming the door to see why you aren't coming out to "serve" him.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Maggie, I am so sorry this has happened to you! If you did not live on the opposite side of the country I would love to come and kidnap, Oh, I mean help with Bob and Queenie! LOL... Seriously I hope you have someone to look after all of you while you are healing.
-Bon

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I am sorry to hear about your injuries.

I was thinking, I am not sure exactly what kind of steps are in the back. But, it they are older wood, perhaps you could have someone screw in a bunch of sheet metal screws into the stairs, so that way you always have traction. The would be like little grippers.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Or on that note, what I did for my dogs was to apply asphalt shingles to the steps and our ramp we built for the old dog. It holds up very well too.
Na

Status
Not open for further replies.