Lost Hermann found after 9 months!

Chip's mom

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
Last summer (August), our (then 3 years old) Hermann disappeared from his outdoor enclosure. We searched everywhere, of course. After about one month later, I gave up hope and grieved. We thought a predator must have taken him. This winter, there were multiple long periods of freeze and snow.

Fast forward 9 months - he appeared happy and healthy in my husbands shed (in May)! He looks great, is active, and ate Mazuri immediately. We’re really in shock over it! Thankfully, we still had his whole setup - I was literally listing it for sale this week!

We live in North Carolina. I just wanted to share this as such an amazing story that illustrates the resilience of these animals. They are amazing!

Oh, and we’re making him a way more secure, larger outdoor enclosure now!
Thank you for sharing this story. We lost our Eastern Hermann's 3 weeks ago, and it has been very hard, so this story gives me hope. I think we need to both grieve and be hopeful, it's hard to know how to feel. I've posted and called everywhere so I do believe if a good person finds him they will find us.

We're a little colder up in PA, and the cold rains have been making me feel horribly for him. I'm surprised you had freezing and snow in NC!

Thank you again for sharing and we hope that you've been enjoying having him home!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Thank you for sharing this story. We lost our Eastern Hermann's 3 weeks ago, and it has been very hard, so this story gives me hope. I think we need to both grieve and be hopeful, it's hard to know how to feel. I've posted and called everywhere so I do believe if a good person finds him they will find us.

We're a little colder up in PA, and the cold rains have been making me feel horribly for him. I'm surprised you had freezing and snow in NC!

Thank you again for sharing and we hope that you've been enjoying having him home!
So I have spoke of My Seymour disappearing, and My Boxie, My Boxie was missing for 80 days, there was a depression beneath a fence on my front side yard. I had pretty much resigned my self after a couple of weeks of searching that she had snuck out. I never gave up hope (Never give up hope!) but I was willing to accept the result. I just hoped that she had wandered off and found some better pastures, and was staying away from the street.
Then BAM!, one day I was doing some yard work in the area that she had gone missing from, and there she was! Oh! HAPPY DAYS!
So . . until you find an empty shell, there is always a chance!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So I have spoke of My Seymour disappearing, and My Boxie, My Boxie was missing for 80 days, there was a depression beneath a fence on my front side yard. I had pretty much resigned my self after a couple of weeks of searching that she had snuck out. I never gave up hope (Never give up hope!) but I was willing to accept the result. I just hoped that she had wandered off and found some better pastures, and was staying away from the street.
Then BAM!, one day I was doing some yard work in the area that she had gone missing from, and there she was! Oh! HAPPY DAYS!
So . . until you find an empty shell, there is always a chance!
Amen.