Lost cherryhead baby

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
You should've put a bow or balloon around him to easily spot him lol(saw that idea in a thread)
I was just thinking of giving my kids a challenge for this weekend: to come up with some clever and practical ways of making those babies more visible when outside... Too little too late

Pearly

5 Year Member
Is your yard wide open or closed off ?
It's a darn subdivision and we are not fenced in. The neighbors backing up to us do have privacy fence but we never needed one. My babies' enclosure will not be ready till probably this summer. I was in no hurry as they are still very little.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They also have those cozy sweater type things that are made for torts. Not sure if they come small enough for that little of ones. You can find them on etsy. A bright ribbon tied around them might be enough too. Give this one the brightest you can find. I think s/he's going to be the trouble making. I'm confident you will find him/her. Good thoughts and vibes flowing your way from Chicago

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry Ewa.
This has happened to me twice.
The first time the tortoise wasn't actually gone from his enclosure and was found two days later, still in it. I have no idea where he had hidden.
The second time, it was an escape through a hole. That tortoise was captured days later trying to get back inside.
I sure hope that you have the same good luck.
I have some experience with my wife crawling around with flashlights...Keep in mind it doesn't know it has escaped and isn't hiding.
It is behaving as it always does and will be searching for food, water and sunlight.
Thanks, Ed. I've done absolutely nothing this weekend! My house is a mess and I've going around the yard, cutting plants, raking, and crawling on 4's looking for little Tucker. Got just couple of responses from neighborhood FB sites and spoke with couple of neighbors and some kids, gave out flyers, told kids there would be a reward.... Just checked again under the CHE in that pansy bed.... and all the potential hides that I have set out.... Nothing! Very discouraging! He could be ANYWHERE! I'm worried about the cool front coming in few days. It's supposed to drop to low 30's at night.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Look for her as the day starts to warm up. You may find her basking to warm up. I lost tardis once when he was only 15lbs. Turns out the neighbor found him and relocated him to a field thinking he was native wild life. I searched for 3 days, and one mourning he came charging out of the long grass. When he saw me, he ran over to see if I had any goodies. Talk to all your neighbors. They will probably help you look. Put signs every where. Give them to shelters, animal hospitals, & pet stores. Good luck!
Good idea about notifying shelters and vet clinics. Thank you. Will do it in am and vets on Monday. Glad you found your tort. Mine is just a tiny baby! Just 3 inches long! I am so worried!

Pearly

5 Year Member
They also have those cozy sweater type things that are made for torts. Not sure if they come small enough for that little of ones. You can find them on etsy. A bright ribbon tied around them might be enough too. Give this one the brightest you can find. I think s/he's going to be the trouble making. I'm confident you will find him/her. Good thoughts and vibes flowing your way from Chicago
Awwwww..., thank you so much! You know what's worst? That it happened on my watch and my daughter who owns those babies is not even mad with me! I am mad with me! She's not!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, you did a good job with your daughter and she understands that you didn't do it on purpose, and you only looked away cause you thought another baby was in trouble. Now you need to realize it too and be easier on yourself. I understand though. But keep positive and keep looking and more important, keep feeling around. Also, don't forget to look and feel close to where s/he was last seen. They don't always as far as our fear thinks.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Well, you did a good job with your daughter and she understands that you didn't do it on purpose, and you only looked away cause you thought another baby was in trouble. Now you need to realize it too and be easier on yourself. I understand though. But keep positive and keep looking and more important, keep feeling around. Also, don't forget to look and feel close to where s/he was last seen. They don't always as far as our fear thinks.
Thank you for building up my spirits. I'll be "feeling" on my 4's tomorrow. Appreciate your support

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I dunno about redfoots, but in 2014 when my boxie was teensy-weensy i used to sometimes put him in a planter that i had ripped the old lettuce out of. He would usually bury himself so deep i had trouble finding him, combing thru the dirt with my bare fingers. He'd be like 6-7" under, in dense, soggy sand/peat/soil mix (this was before i read warnings about sand).
I was amazed he would go down that far and still be able to breathe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Baby Redfoot don't dig down but they do like to crawl underneath items such as a flat rock.
I've also overlooked a few in the yard that were right in front of me and had become invisible for a moment

Pearly

5 Year Member
Do you have a dog or does a neighbor?
I wonder if one would find him? I'd be curious to put a dog in that spot and then watch what the dog does.
I have only 3 cats. Did try to let my Maine Coon out there, he did lots of sniffing but that's it. My neighbors have dogs. I think I'll ask them for a visit. Thanks Ed!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Baby Redfoot don't dig down but they do like to crawl underneath items such as a flat rock.
I've also overlooked a few in the yard that were right in front of me and had become invisible for a moment
I've been going around that damned flower bed over and over, under all the flowers and feeling the dirt... It's so discouraging! And I'm very impatient too! Must learn my lesson of patience

Pearly

5 Year Member
I dunno about redfoots, but in 2014 when my boxie was teensy-weensy i used to sometimes put him in a planter that i had ripped the old lettuce out of. He would usually bury himself so deep i had trouble finding him, combing thru the dirt with my bare fingers. He'd be like 6-7" under, in dense, soggy sand/peat/soil mix (this was before i read warnings about sand).
I was amazed he would go down that far and still be able to breathe.
I have heavy clay here. Doubt he's be able to do that. I think I've looked under ever rock but I'll go out and actually start lifting those rocks now. Thanks for giving me some ideas

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Doing a grid search might help if you are feeling frantic, that or putting a spike in the middle of the garden and doing a spiral pattern outward.

We are all rooting for you. I've lost a 10lb tortoise in an 8x10ft space. I understand.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Darn, this is a shame! I would be doing everything you're currently doing.
This stuff happens and I know one thing for sure....... It won't happen again! I hate learning lessons like this.
I really hope you find him.
My fingers are crossed for you and the baby. Keep looking.
image.gif