Lost 20 lb sulcata.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I once lost a 4.5 in Russian that got out of my outdoor enclosure. I looked for him for days and days. I live out in the country on an acre(and a forest behind us) I finally assumed he was gone and just prayed that he could survive out in the wild in Texas. But almost 2 weeks later, I was throwing the football outside with my brother and he overthrew it a little into the tall grass/brush that transitions into the forest. I walked over there and saw my tortoise just chill in. That just goes to show that even if you think hope is lost, its still very possible that you could still find him. So good luck

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
I just googled and found the hoarders name, also uncovered a million complaints, charges of animal cruelty, citations for everything under the sun and even better, the anonymous callers full name. They both have separate "rescues" with up to 80 neglected dogs on each property at a time. This caller told us she saw the tortoise walking around her back yard. I pray this is all done crazy overdone enjoyment and not true. Now I'm freaking out that this old ladies dogs are going to get ahold of him. I don't know where to start with all of this or how to get into her yard. What a mess.

Did you post on here about him missing? I think I read about a Russian missing (near a golf course of I remember) that was found awhile later. Even if that's not your story, it gives me hope! I can't imagine how hopeless it felt to lose a smaller one! I said I was glad it wasn't our little guy, can't imagine! Glad yours is back. Hope our fella turns up soon!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is this the house you took the police to? If not, I would call the police on this old lady so they can search for your animal. Better yet, the person who told you she saw a tortoise in her back yard should tell you where she lives. Maybe she's let you stay there in her backyard to see if you spot your tort. IF you do see your tort, do not attempt to go get it. Dogs may be out and can attack you and the tort. Take a pic on your phone, and call police.
Masin said:
I just googled and found the hoarders name, also uncovered a million complaints, charges of animal cruelty, citations for everything under the sun and even better, the anonymous callers full name. They both have separate "rescues" with up to 80 neglected dogs on each property at a time. This caller told us she saw the tortoise walking around her back yard. I pray this is all done crazy overdone enjoyment and not true. Now I'm freaking out that this old ladies dogs are going to get ahold of him. I don't know where to start with all of this or how to get into her yard. What a mess.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
sibi said:
Is this the house you took the police to? If not, I would call the police on this old lady so they can search for your animal. Better yet, the person who told you she saw a tortoise in her back yard should yell you where she lives. Maybe she's let you stay there in her backyard to see if you spot your tort. IF you do see your tort, do not attempt to go get it. Dogs may be out and can attack you and the tort. Take a pic on your phone, and call police.
Masin said:

Yes, same house. The cops were the ones that said not to bother, that this anonymous person does this all the time. That they know Judy is a hoarder and that they can't enter her property without a warrant. I told them that this anonymous person says she has him, that she saw him today. She let him walk around then put him in a dog cage outside. They said they couldn't do anything. That it would be her word against mine even if I saw my tortoise. Are you kidding?! This sort of nightmare really happens? I pray that I see his little butt sunning tomorrow in OUR yard and that I can forget this person is real. If not, I dunno what to do.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I would stake out her backyard. If she's keeping him in a cage outside, tonight isn't gonna be too cold, but soon some freezing weather will hit our way. If it were my tort, I'll camp outside the boundaries of her home and wait to see what's in her backyard. She's 40 minutes away, huh...what town? When can your partner have a day off to help find the tort? Maybe one could go to that lady's backyard, and one can look more locally. Tell me what you think.

If I weren't taking care of a critical I'll tort right now, I'd drive the 2 1/2 hours to Havana to help you look for him.

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
Masin said:
Just got an anonymous call that our tortoise was in a cage in this persons backyard. The person said her neighbor picked him up here and transported him 40 minutes into another town. I panicked and did the drive at this house only to get there with the sheriff and learn that this anonymous caller skims craigslist and the lost facebook page for my area and calls every family that posts and tells them her neighbor has the animal...I had such a broken heart that I fell for this crazy persons lie. I feel worse now than I did before this all, and I didn't think that was possible! I wish this nightmare were over :(!!

Wow that is one of the cruelest things I have hear in a long time. People like this really need legal actions taken against them. Why do some people get such a kick out of playing on others feelings especially when it comes to their pets?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Come up with a story of why you are visiting this person. Something like your heard she rescues dogs and you were looking for a rescue to adopt. Would she be willing to work with you in getting you the right dog to fit into your family. Earn her trust to get you into her house. Don't do this alone. Take someone with you. Let that someone sit and hide in the car. When you get their trust and hopefully she lets you enter her house, have the person with you go into the back yard and search. If either one of you see your tort, grab it and go. During any of this time, do not give out your address and give a different, closer area to her for where you live. I would not let this go unchecked. If you don't have the nerve to do that, I would stake out the area until I knew she did or didn't have my tort. If she did, call the police and tell them she has them and you need them now to help you get him back, or your going to do it on your own. If she is really a hoarder, call the health department on her. Good luck, I can't believe the police won't help you. Fingers crossed until he is home. Keep us posted.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Lost 20 lb sulcata.

wellington said:
Come up with a story of why you are visiting this person. Something like your heard she rescues dogs and you were looking for a rescue to adopt. Would she be willing to work with you in getting you the right dog to fit into your family. Earn her trust to get you into her house. Don't do this alone. Take someone with you. Let that someone sit and hide in the car. When you get their trust and hopefully she lets you enter her house, have the person with you go into the back yard and search. If either one of you see your tort, grab it and go. During any of this time, do not give out your address and give a different, closer area to her for where you live. I would not let this go unchecked. If you don't have the nerve to do that, I would stake out the area until I knew she did or didn't have my tort. If she did, call the police and tell them she has them and you need them now to help you get him back, or your going to do it on your own. If she is really a hoarder, call the health department on her. Good luck, I can't believe the police won't help you. Fingers crossed until he is home. Keep us posted.

Barb, you are a genius.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member

Did you post on here about him missing? I think I read about a Russian missing (near a golf course of I remember) that was found awhile later. Even if that's not your story, it gives me hope! I can't imagine how hopeless it felt to lose a smaller one! I said I was glad it wasn't our little guy, can't imagine! Glad yours is back. Hope our fella turns up soon!
[/quote]
No, I didn't post it on this forum. It was before I was a member.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Update, we still have not been able to locate Rumor. I'm sure every one of you can imagine how hard this is. We have only had this boy a short time but you guys know how attached you can get to your torts. I still can't believe it's happened and keep checking and checking obsessivly only to come up empty each time. Its definitely wearing on me but I can't stop looking. I keep looking out in the pastures expecting to see him sunning casually or eating away.

The crazy anonymous call and hoarder lady saga is still going. I stayed up overnight that night and dug around trying to figure out who these people were. I did find out the name of the caller, it's Cynthia Harlow, and the name of the "hoarder" is Judy Dubois, the neighbor has had Judy in her sights for years now and has been arrested for trespassing on her property as well as harassment. I did find out that Judy runs a shelter for dogs and has relocated lost pets with their owners hundreds of times now. Does that ease my mind? Not really. I heard from Judy herself and she offered to have her friend with a tracking dog help us, I jumped at that opportunity but haven't heard from the tracker yet. Wouldn't that be ideal? Its been days now though and with rain and high winds I wonder if it would be any good. I'll take the chance if they offer though! Judy did ask me to post our ad on her facebook page, reaching anyone at this point is better than not, right? His photo has been shared over and over in our area, I hope someone sees him soon. We miss him dearly.
I did offer our services to Judy. My partner is an emergency vet as well as a hospice vet, I tech with her and we help families with the final stages, preparation, education etc just like human hospice. I hope she takes us up on this offer so I can get in there. I have this gut feeling that she does not have our boy though. I've read 100's of complaints about the neighbor and how she has pulled this enough times that the shelters and police department warn to ignore her calls. I hate that this crazy lady gave us hope in these times. That she took moments away from us doing productive work, that the pain of it all is shadowed by the pain of that ordeal as well. I don't get people.
I know it's illegal to stuff mailboxes but I've printed 100 or so fliers and planned to canvas our area, the local stores etc I know it's days later but I'm a one man army at this point and trying my hardest.
Thank you guys so much for your thoughts and encouragement at this time. I can not thank you enough. I can not wait until the day comes I get to update about him being found safe and sound.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
....and that is why I did this! Sorry to hear about your run away but WalkingRock has run twice now and this was the solution I came up with! It's not any good for the smaller guys, but it keeps a leash on the bigger ones with scutes large enough to tag.

This Tag is hammered to the shape of his scute and adhered with a 2 part, heavy duty epoxy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think this is a good idea, except if the tort was stolen. A stolen tort will have the tag removed. Maybe if it were on the tort long enough, it would have left a mark of some sort, but other then that, it wouldn't stop a thief.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Someone should invent some type of micro chip for a tortoise that has a GPS in it. Could just put it under the skin like a dog. Take that to the Shark Tank. Mark Cubin would invest. :)

But on a serious note, I hope you find Rumor soon!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Zamric said:
....and that is why I did this! Sorry to hear about your run away but WalkingRock has run twice now and this was the solution I came up with! It's not any good for the smaller guys, but it keeps a leash on the bigger ones with scutes large enough to tag.

This Tag is hammered to the shape of his scute and adhered with a 2 part, heavy duty epoxy.

Your ears must be burning because I've mentioned you and Walking Rock at least a dozen times during this process. When we do (and I hope it's a when and not if) he is getting tagged immediately.

wellington said:
I think this is a good idea, except if the tort was stolen. A stolen tort will have the tag removed. Maybe if it were on the tort long enough, it would have left a mark of some sort, but other then that, it wouldn't stop a thief.

That's what I would worry about too. Is loved to see a subcutaneous gps as well! They have experimented with just that very thing in children and have chips without tracking for pets. Maybe they're on the way. We'll be in line for it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does anyone know if the ones for kids, would work in an animal? I don't like the idea of chipping humans, but I am all for it with animals.[/i]

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
wellington said:
Does anyone know if the ones for kids, would work in an animal? I don't like the idea of chipping humans, but I am all for it with animals.[/i]

This is exactly how I feel. Clearly I don't want to be chipped, but my pets, yes! (And maybe even my daughter one day, haha.)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Checking your thread. Must.Find.Rumor. Rumor come home now! Run Rumor run!

Thank you. Still no sightings. Frustrated. He seemingly just poofed. I think that's the worst part, that we have no idea where to start. We've combed the area but there are still so many spots in the woods that we just can't get to or check fully do to the trees, brush etc. We're trying...just doesn't feel like very much. I dunno at what point you stop looking. I don't know that I can!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A while back, I can't remember who, but a member found their tort, don't remember what species either, but found it almost a year later. Don't give up hope. Keep looking the best you can and keep fingers crossed. I will.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
wellington said:
A while back, I can't remember who, but a member found their tort, don't remember what species either, but found it almost a year later. Don't give up hope. Keep looking the best you can and keep fingers crossed. I will.

Thank you. You have no idea how good it feels to be able up come here and know others can sympathize with the situation. I think friends are tired of hearing about it. Tomorrow a retired tracking dog is coming to help. Worried that tomorrow marks a week and that this dog hasn't worked since last summer. But who cares, anything is better than nothing right? This dog was trained to seek gopher tortoises...let's hope he can distinguish :) I'll keep you posted for sure! He'll be here at 9am, it can't come soon enough. The weather turned this afternoon from 80's to 41 :( so depressed.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Keep your hopes up they can handle the cold for a little bit . He will be fine . You will find him just keep looking .