Lost Sulcata Tortoise - Woodside CA

SulcataXXL

5 Year Member
We live across the street from an Open Space Preserve and have have lost our beloved tortoise Molly. She is 50 lbs. we came home yesterday evening to discover she had escaped. I was up at 6AM searching but it is a huge forest with sequoia trees everywhere on the mountainside. I am taking an intermission to write this post but will head back out there. Your prayers are greatly appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The person in the picture was very brave. First thing a tortoise does when picked up and held is pee - GALLONS!!

Quite a lot of people read Craigslist.com. Place a 'lost' ad on craigs list. You can also put fliers on the utility poles in your neighborhood. Quite often a neighbor finds a tortoise and doesn't realize it might belong to someone in the neighborhood and they just put it in the back yard and keep it. So go door to door and let your neighbors know that you've lost your tortoise.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Like Yvonne said, post signs ! You can be surprised how useful this is. Yes it's more work than sitting at the computer but it reaches your immediate area where your tortoise is most likely to be roaming. People are surprisingly eager to help you find her.

SulcataXXL

5 Year Member
Molly has been found! Thank-you everyone for providing your support. Yesterday someone found her on the trail and called it in so she was brought to the Humane Society. After spending 3 hours on the open space preserve with nothing I cannot be happier and more grateful right now. Thanks again for all the great advice.

image.jpg image.jpg

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Maybe supervised walking in the forest would be fun for her ! Exploring.
Glad you found her !

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
She is SO beautiful!! What an awesome ending (although I know her walkabout freaked you out!) Maybe to tortoise walks is a good call! I'm sure she'd love it.

M

Maggie Cummings

Is that just a sulcata trait? My Russian tortoise has never pee'd on me in the three years I have had her. And I'm very happy that you found your tortoise.
They pee when they are afraid or stressed. Mine have only peed on me when I was showing them to a stranger.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so glad you found her. She is beautiful. I bet she sure was enjoying herself in the nature preserve, however, I bet she did not like it when she was taken to the Humane Society and put in a cage.