Lost 20 lb sulcata.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Nothing as of yet. We've had some cold weather here in North Florida, it even snowed one day. I am hoping that wherever our baby is that he's inside and warm at least.
I wish I had a good update for everyone. Thank you for thinking of us and sending us all the good vibes you can!

FWC Bio

[/u]Masin, I am a biologist with FL FIsh and Wildlife. A man in Havana has found a sulcata and has it enclosed in his backyard. Please contact us. I left a message on someone named Morgan's voicemail also- not sure if you are affiliated with each other.

Please contact the exotic species hotline at 1-888-IVE-GOT-1 and ask to speak to Liz Barraco. Alternatively, you may contact the regional office at 850-265-3676 and ask to speak to Cat Kennedy- although I will be out this morning and Liz is going to be your best bet to coordinate this effort.

I hope this is your guy- I love when we have success stories! :)

Best,
C Kennedy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish Masin had put up her email address instead of just enabling the PM feature. She hasn't visited the Forum since March, so I'm not sure she'll see a PM, but I sent one anyway.

I'm so glad that you (C Kennedy) found the Forum and found Masin's thread about her tortoise. I just hope she comes back to us and reads it.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Hey there! Morgan actually did get the call. Our hospital also called to let us know the gentlemen and you (Cat) called as well! We've returned your call but like you said, you're out. I am going to call the regional number as suggested. Liz was not available either. Busy day for everyone!
I'm so glad you were able to get ahold of us AND Morgans hospital either way! AND Yvonne, she saw this post as well which is awesome!
I get any new activity sent right to my iphone as an alert so I saw it! We happen to be 12 hours south on vacation and service is spotty at best.
Any way, wanted to update on the update. Keep your fingers crossed it's our son!!!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
It's our boy! We've had the gentlemen take him to our nature center where he'll safely stay until we get back into town! So happy!!!!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Masin said:
It's our boy! We've had the gentlemen take him to our nature center where he'll safely stay until we get back into town! So happy!!!!

Wow!!!! I can not even imagine how you feel right now! How are you not breaking laws to get back home and get him? LOL! So happy for you and Morgan!

MsBijou

5 Year Member
Wow!! What a great story! So happy!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

FWC Bio

Aw, I am glad it worked out for everyone! :) One of the FWC dispatchers who originally took the call from the finder last night happened to google 'lost tortoise havana' and found this thread. Gotta love the interwebs. I am so happy you are getting your baby back and all is well. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hooray! wonderful news. So many people find a tortoise and just keep it, never trying to find the owner.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
The woman originally rumored to of taken our sully has reappeared in our lives all of a sudden. We haven't heard from her in months yet yesterday just after Cat (Florida Fish and wildlife) posted here and called the hospital this lady did too. I'm wondering if she has been following this thread. She left a message stating a tracker found our tort and that she was the middle guy. She refused to put anyone in direct contact with the tracker. She keeps calling both hospitals, even thru the morning today. She doesn't have torts yet has found my missing/lost/stolen ads on other tort sites...I have no idea what she has to gain right now but it makes me anxious. I'm so happy we have our boy, gosh I can't explain it but I'm also worried about having our son home now.
I don't know how to ensure he's not snatched by this lady or her crazy following. She has a pretty extensive record and reputation. I was even concerned about her posing as Florida Fish & Wildlife since she has posed as an animal control officer numerous times. Luckily the gentlemen did bring our tort in and he's safe now. Just wish we could breathe and not be paranoid yet again.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
FWC BIO. You are a hero! Seriously! This is the best ending ever.

As crazy as this is, I would not leave that tortoise outside if I was not home. Just for now. Can you build him a strong enclosure with serious locks?
I would take very detailed pictures of him and actually microchip him.
So happy he is back home!

Lauraryan

5 Year Member
South Central Louisiana
I have recently painted both my big torts with a non-toxic luminous paint. After sunning themselves each day , the emit a soft glow that allows me find them in the evening easily. Nothing very bright but noticeable. I'm going to try to find a better quality paint ( of course non-toxic) but the one I have is super expensive. They haven't gone missing ever, but in case they do I might have an easier time finding them. No clue how long the glow last or when I may need to reapply , but I'll keep you posted.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Thank God he is home! :D