tortoise losing weight - (updated after vet visit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
ok Charlie has been losing weight (which I think I have stated before) he is now at 495grams a loss of another 15 grams since I weighed him about 2 weeks ago. I have separated from girls he has had a deworming treatment and another is due on the 19th of this month. Vet is away on vacation till next week sometime. Any ideas at all what could be going on with him? He seems now pre occupied with escaping the enclosure. I see him eat very little and food seems to be walked through and not eaten at the end of the day. I have tried to offer a variety of different foods to try stimulate him to no avail. Someone please give me some advise I'm at a loss here HELP!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Need HELP

It is sometimes a better idea (if space is available) to move the healthy tortoises to another enclosure and leave the one being treated in his comfortable territory. Two things might be affecting his appetite...missing his girls, and being taken out of his territory.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
RE: Need HELP (tortoise losing weight)

He is in the same enclosure the girls where moved to a different one.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Vet visit Charlie

just got back from the vet took blood sample that will take a couple of days to get results also got a fecal just before I was leaving so he is doing a work up on that also, I am force feeding Charlie a Critical Care mix 2-3 times a day, he is thinking an infection of some kind will know when the blood is done.
Vet just called he said the fecal was loaded (pins adult and larvae) so doing the pana cur for 3 days straight

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Vet visit Charlie

Hopefully the worms will be the only thing found. Hope he recoups quickly and back to go old self soon.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West

cemmons12 said:
Any updates to provide on Charlie? Hope its good news!

no more news from the vet today I'm at work so hubby is at home doing to tort sitting

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West

Talked to vet blood work showed high white cell count 23,000 lots of esophils(sp) he also said there where strongalodies with the pin worms :( so Baytril for 10 days sigh!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Atleast you have things you know you can work on and the meds to do so, hopefully once it's done Charlie will be the healthiest out there. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sue:

Be careful of force feeding to much. A tortoise's metabolism is slower than a mammal and the food doesn't move out of the stomach very quickly.

Sounds like you and your vet have a handle on it now. Did they have any suggestions about the inflated white count?

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Charlie ate some corn and cactus fruit today yeaaaa step in right direction..

Status
Not open for further replies.