Looking to brush up on my sulcata care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
Hi guys. I've had my sulcata tortoise coming up on a year now. I aquired it from a local pet store. I have it in a custom 2'x4' tortoise table. Substrate is soil and play sand. On one end I have a cardboard hide box with some rocks around it (the cardboard is very sturdy and will not buckle under the weight of the rocks, however, I plan on placing an upsized plastic hide box in as a replacement shortly), and other side I have a flat rock for basking, and a lid to a rubbermaid tub to act as a feeding platform. Above the basking rock I have a 160W zoomed powersun mercury vapor bulb, which is on a timer, it comes on a 9am and goes off at 9pm. Temp gun readings put the rock suface temperature at 91F-93F, and the table is in my snake room, so the room temp (and cool side of the enclosure) sits at 78F-82F. For the past months I've been feeding it a handful of spring mix dusted with rep-cal calcium powder and herptivite every other day. Just today I tried some timothy hay and moistened mazuri tortoise food, so far its shown no interest. Lastly, in the middle of the table I have a small shallow water dish, and a cuttlebone.

I'm wondering how I'm doing here. Right now I'm in the process of trying to get something set up to grow some trays of grasses that I could place in the enclosure and have it graze on occasionally. Also since I work at a grocery store, it's easy for me to pick up fresh greens nearly every day. I'm thinking about supplementing some dandelion greens. Any others to suggest?

Unfortunately I can't say I give it weekly soakings. More like monthly. How much should I be soaking it? And should I be misting the substrate? The dirt/sand gets pretty dry.

Here are some pictures I just took. I am very aware it exibits some pretty significant pyramiding, it looked this way when I bought it. I am proud to say I have noticed no increase in pyramiding since it's been in my care. Also, it is presently 4.5" in length. I have not really tracked size or growth in the last year, but I can't say it's exploded in size very much since I got it. It's stayed a fairly constant size, is this normal, and can anyone take an educated guess at how old it is?

4b4990f8.jpg

374d4917.jpg

e6989427.jpg

fc7d8783.jpg

e1a04a7c.jpg

50f88594.jpg

ff57140b.jpg

59477034.jpg

f1263720.jpg

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Your Mazuri looks to dry, I put mine in hot water and let it puff up real good and my Sulcata love's it. Try putting some on spring mix to get him to taste it. Your substrate needs more moisture I mix some water every couple days under the light area and in the hide. If you don't soak I would set him in the water when you clean it daily and he can climb out if he wants. Make sure its warm water. Hopefully you will see him drinking. He is very cute!

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, I literally put the mazuri in and poured water over it, then took the pictures! It's nicely puffed now.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
In the time it takes you to prepare the food you can put the tort in a bath of warm water up to the bridge (right below the chin) and this will help with the pyramiding, and the hydration.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So does your stalwart pen patroller have a name? ;)

He is a very handsome little guy and lucky to have a caring, conscientious owner. :D

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
So does your stalwart pen patroller have a name? ;)

He is a very handsome little guy and lucky to have a caring, conscientious owner. :D

It actually doesn't have a name yet, I'm sort of waiting to know the sex before I name it, but thatll be a while from now so maybe I should just pick a unisex name! lol!

So what do you guys think about my feeding methods, and what do you think about growing some grass for him to graze on? Any suggestions for a species of grass? I'm thinking buffalo grass, bermuda grass, or wheat grass. Any any guesses on age?

Dane

5 Year Member
Minneapolis, MN
I get my seed mix from Sulcata Food.
It's great quality, fair price, plus Dane loves it! I grow it in pots inside so he can eat it even when it's -30 degrees outside!

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
Dane said:
I get my seed mix from Sulcata Food.
It's great quality, fair price, plus Dane loves it! I grow it in pots inside so he can eat it even when it's -30 degrees outside!

I tried sulcata food...I'm in Canada so they won't ship to me :(

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
I don't want to into an arguement with you, but your making it really hard. You CLEARLY skim over things very quickly, please, just read what I've written (edited out by mod)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maggie is one of our resident "tell it like it is people". Sugar coating is not her strong point and WE LOVE HER FOR IT. Further, she gave you some darn good advice, which is what you asked for. Even further, did you miss the part where she said you were doing almost everything right?

Learn how to take your lumps and don't be so darn sensitive!

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
Roachman26 said:
Maggie is one of our resident "tell it like it is people". Sugar coating is not her strong point and WE LOVE HER FOR IT. Further, she gave you some darn good advice, which is what you asked for. Even further, did you miss the part where she said you were doing almost everything right?

Learn how to take your lumps and don't be so darn sensitive!

Tell it like it is? How about she reads it like it is? Christ. Did she miss where I explained about the mazuri, the name, and for her information the diameter of a softball is 3.8". CLEARLY. But really, what's the point, you so obviously worship her.

For those of you that made intelligent responses, I thank you for your time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old are you? Did your Mommy not give you enough hugs growing up?

Worship is a ridiculous word to use. I DO think she is a terrific human being. I DO respect her vast knowledge of and experience with turtles and tortoises. I do NOT, however, worship her.

You asked for advice, and a very knowledgeable, experienced person gave it to you. Why are you so defensive? Do you feel guilty about something?

Calling people names and accusing people of preposterous things will only serve to prevent you from gaining knowledge and insight from people who would otherwise be glad to help you. You have an ill-fed, overly dry, improperly substrated tortoise and you insult the people who try to help you improve upon things? Not cool.

Let's not continue this absurdity. We're all here to benefit our tortoises and the tortoises of the world. Let us put this ugliness behind us and unite in a common goal. Helping and learning about tortoises.

I apologize for poking fun at you and I won't do it anymore.......as long as you behave yourself.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Peter its good your on the forum learning to improve your tortoise life. I hope you stick around there's so much good information here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
franeich said:
Maggie, Your sister doesnt name her tortoises does she?

No, I don't. If they had a name when they came to me I keep their name, but I don't name the ones without names. Well, except for Bo and So, and really Laura here on the forum named them.

And I hope the bad feelings stop now. No more inflammatory posts please.

Hi Peter:

I really only saw two things I would address: Small tortoises won't eat hay... and the substrate.

I see that you feed the Spring Mix every other day, and that's good. One way to get them started on eating the hay is to buy the Salad Style Hay from either Oxbow.com or carolinapetsupply.com. It is cut up orchard grass hay and very soft and fresh. You can then sprinkle a bit of the hay over the Spring Mix.

The substrate needs to be something you can moisten. A humid environment helps the shell to grow smoothly. And its good you're changing out the box to plastic, because once you moisten the substrate, the cardboard will start to buckle.

If your little guy was a hatchling when you got him and you've had him about a year, I'd say he's probably a good size for a little fellow just under a year and a half of age. "they" say slow growth is best. He looks pretty good to me.

Each of us has his or her own opinions about raising and keeping tortoises. The above is mine.

M

Maggie Cummings

Peter, I am so sorry. I thought I was giving you a "stern" talking to about the lack of water for your tortoise. I certainly didn't mean to hurt you or insult you. Typed words when someone reads them sound different then they are meant at times. Please accept my sincere apology. I didn't mean to hurt you I just was upset at the lack of water given to your tortoise. I'm sorry

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Maggie has tons of experience and feels very strongly about neglected tortoises, whether such neglect is deliberate, unintentional or born of recklessness.

Maggie has rescued and raised scores of tortoises so has for years seen abject suffering and permanent deformity resulting from improper care techniques. Everything she says or advises comes straight from her size XXL heart, no more and no less.

Peter, my tortoise was brought into our home from Argentina four years ago. For her first 3 1/2 years, we thought (without doing any research) that she was similar to the desert tortoise my husband's family had in California years ago. We kept her on pellets, fed her only romaine lettuce, had little regular heat available, no humidity, and kept her in a 10-gallon aquarium most of the year. As a result she has severe pyramiding and possible MBD. I kick myself every time I look at her and realize what she could have been if only I had known about this forum sooner and Maggie or another one of the resident experts here had given me the kick in the pants I needed.

Please recognize that the overwhelming majority of members here at TFO just want to do what's best for tortoises--they get frustrated and brusque because once a week or so someone posts with a sick or dying tortoise, and generally it is too late to get the help they need, so we all get to "witness" the tragic, and often preventable, ending of a life that could have been so much more.

I sincerely hope you will continue to post here and with a little time you will come to enjoy all of the fun and caring folks here at TFO, as I have.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Looks like you are on a good track to me. I think your sand ratio is way too high though. I'd add more soil or coir and keep it slightly moist.

I'm also a little worried about the hide. Is it supported in a way that it can't collapse on the tort?

You also may want to break up the cuddlebone a bit. I've found that can help get them chewing on it.

How is your heat? What do you have for a basking spot temp and warm and cool side temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.