Looking for new lamp fixture

sheilae04

I've attached a picture of my current enclosure for my Russian, along with a picture of the lamp fixture I'm thinking about getting. I've taken temperatures with a digital temperature lazer gun. Here's what I came up with: 100 degrees F on basking rock right under light, 93 around the rock, 83 on his shell close to his food, and 75 in the cooler side where his hide is. These all seem like the right temperatures to me, but I feel like the lamp is maybe too close. It's a zoo med 75 watt lamp, and I also have a long fluorescent repti sun uvb 10.0. Since the original picture, I've taken out the plant because he kept uprooting it and pacing around. He settled down once I removed it!

I know people talk about hanging lights, but I'm not really sure how to do that, so what about the zoomed extendor fixture that I'm showing?

Also, the "funny tortoise" picture I've attached is Saturn right after I freshened up his substrate with more water, and after I moved his rock into the 93 zone. He immediately started pushing against the rock with his back feet and then burrowed in head first. Wish I had gotten a pic of his feet pushing! :)

Thanks!

6f37892538536c9dcaf8628d4e5c84ca.w120.h120._CR0,0,120,120_SL280_SY80_.jpg saturn photo3.JPG saturns rock.jpg saturn burrowing.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Russian tortoises like a lot of space and they move a lot, so that might have been why he's pacing. As for the fixture, you can screw in a hook and hang it from there. I always tie it in with something a few times so I know it won't fall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Since you've got your light fixture resting on the wire grate, there's no need to worry about hanging it (unless the grate doesn't allow the light to be close enough to get the correct temperature).

sheilae04

Do my temperatures sound okay? The lamp is sitting on the wire, but its only about 6 inches from the top of his shell. Is that still okay?