Burning Smell from Exo Terra Night Heat Lamp

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Just purchased a Exo Terra 75 W Night Heat Lamp that gives off the purple light. I have a lamp fixture that says it goes to 75 W but I'm smelling a very slight electrical burning scent from the thing. Is this common for first time use? I don't want to burn my house down and this will be the main source of heat for this enclosure. Worried that perhaps it is a problem with the lamp fixture? It's just a conventional light bulb fixture I bought at Lowes.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes it's just dust from an un-used light bulb. It should go away after a couple hours.

destortoise

VA and WA
If it were me, I would return the bulb and get a CHE. No light, just heat and will last for years. However, use it in a ceramic socket fixture, which will make it even safer.

Might have to do that... As soon as I have the money for one. Do they really last that long?

destortoise

VA and WA
They do last a very long time, years. Well worth the money and better for night time heat, as it has no light.

It is actually because I didn't purchase a porcelain clamp lamp. Going to need to get one before my tort arrives tomorrow

destortoise

VA and WA
You can get domed metal ceramic socket cheaper at stores like Home Depot and/or hardware stores. Around 13 bucks.

I went to Lowes today and took a look but it turns out I only found a non-porcelain one. I am just going to PetCo tomorrow and buying a reliable one

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Ugh where do I find that!! That is so perfect I looked at Lowe's and walmart but they didn't have the porcelain end. I don't even know if there is a feed store close to me.
Check hardware stores, look in the Yellow Pages and see if there's any feed stores near you. It is large, 11inches or so wide.