Looking for finishing advice šŸ¢

eliseandboris

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Iā€™ve started caring for a Russian tortoise who lives at my work in a tank. Please know Iā€™m aware a 2 x 3 table isnā€™t enough room, but this is the space available for now. Bigger things in the future. This will double his current space heā€™s been living in for years so Iā€™m happy to improve things as best as I can.

My question really comes down to sealing and putting this dog crate bottom inside. Is it going to just get moisture under it and make a layer of yuck between it and the wood?

We bought a partially finished poplar toy chest and cut it up to make this. I think Iā€™ll sand this and stain it. Iā€™ve heard about people putting shower curtains in, but hoping for a more fixed solution. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7534.jpeg
    IMG_7534.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7523.jpeg
    IMG_7523.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
When my Sulcata was smaller, he used to live in this Tortoise table. I lined the inside with self adhesive vinyl floor tile, I use cypress mulch and would spray it to help keep the humidity up. He now live in a much bigger box, I still lines his larger box also.

Attachments

• 20220624_140955.jpg
    20220624_140955.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220624_140946.jpg
    20220624_140946.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
There is a small gap between the dog crate bottom and the wood, but itā€™s almost perfect. Iā€™d seal the bottom and also need to do some caulking in a few spots. Just not sure if the plastic piece will actually make things worse šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
IMG_7524.jpeg
When my Sulcata was smaller, he used to live in this Tortoise table. I lined the inside with self adhesive vinyl floor tile, I use cypress mulch and would spray it to help keep the humidity up. He now live in a much bigger box, I still lines his larger box also.
I was thinking about this because Iā€™ve read through posts and it seems so easy! Iā€™d love to find fun tile too. There are so many options. I think one way or another Iā€™m definitely sealing so donā€™t ruin the nice wood. Do you think the moisture will creep over that little edge and create mold in between stain and plastic? Iā€™m just using reptibark, but who knows how little moisture it could take to cause an issue.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
There is a small gap between the dog crate bottom and the wood, but itā€™s almost perfect. Iā€™d seal the bottom and also need to do some caulking in a few spots. Just not sure if the plastic piece will actually make things worse šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
View attachment 367210

I was thinking about this because Iā€™ve read through posts and it seems so easy! Iā€™d love to find fun tile too. There are so many options. I think one way or another Iā€™m definitely sealing so donā€™t ruin the nice wood. Do you think the moisture will creep over that little edge and create mold in between stain and plastic? Iā€™m just using reptibark, but who knows how little moisture it could take to cause an issue.
Been using cypress mulch with no problems with mold.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Goo to know! Iā€™m probably overthinking everything, but Iā€™m always nervous about these things. Thanks for the advice! I love the round windows in your table!