Enclosure Building Advice

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
So turns out the contractor that was going to build my indoor enclosure decided they weren’t comfortable with it so now it’s up to me and I’ve never built a thing in my life so I don’t know where to start!
Fortunately my father will be doing all the constructing but I’m looking for advice on the time of wood to use, lining, and ideas on what to do for a top to close it off.

The dimensions I have available right now are 8x4. He’s still small and has had RIs so I’m trying to make a closer chamber tortoise table. Also needs a solid top as I have 3 cats and new Bernese puppy that will all be able to easily reach the top as it will be in our main living area.
I want a top that is visible through and clear, would a plexiglass be suitable?
I’m also concerned about where I will attach the basking light, if it’s above the plexi will it melt?

I’m also building an outdoor one as well to put him outside part of the day when the weathers nice. He’ll only be in that one supervised so would an open top be okay?

My heads a little all over the place, but I’ve been trying to find someone to build these for months now and just want to get it started and done because I feel guilty not giving my tortoise the space he needs to roam.
He’s still a small Marginated tortoise and loves to climb and destroy, Im just worried he’s bored and pacing the sides of his terrarium because he’s outgrowing it

Here is his current set up. I don’t know how many inches he is but last I weighed him a month ago he was around 155grams

Attachments

• E40DA0FC-9B5A-4CC8-BBE8-8120F6757F2A.jpeg
    E40DA0FC-9B5A-4CC8-BBE8-8120F6757F2A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
So turns out the contractor that was going to build my indoor enclosure decided they weren’t comfortable with it so now it’s up to me and I’ve never built a thing in my life so I don’t know where to start!
Fortunately my father will be doing all the constructing but I’m looking for advice on the time of wood to use, lining, and ideas on what to do for a top to close it off.

The dimensions I have available right now are 8x4. He’s still small and has had RIs so I’m trying to make a closer chamber tortoise table. Also needs a solid top as I have 3 cats and new Bernese puppy that will all be able to easily reach the top as it will be in our main living area.
I want a top that is visible through and clear, would a plexiglass be suitable?
I’m also concerned about where I will attach the basking light, if it’s above the plexi will it melt?

I’m also building an outdoor one as well to put him outside part of the day when the weathers nice. He’ll only be in that one supervised so would an open top be okay?

My heads a little all over the place, but I’ve been trying to find someone to build these for months now and just want to get it started and done because I feel guilty not giving my tortoise the space he needs to roam.
He’s still a small Marginated tortoise and loves to climb and destroy, Im just worried he’s bored and pacing the sides of his terrarium because he’s outgrowing it

Here is his current set up. I don’t know how many inches he is but last I weighed him a month ago he was around 155grams
Where did you get that flat piece of rock for basking/ eating?