Look how small these 1oyr sulcata on craigslist are

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should email them and let them know why they are so small, the bad care and that they are not worth 500.00. In a nice way, or they won't listen anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure it isn't on purpose. They probably think they're being cared for correctly. What's amazing to ME is that in this day and age when so many people have a computer on their phone and such easy access to the internet, that they don't do more research into the proper care. Actually, I don't think $500 for the two tortoises is a bad price. Anyone who gets them and starts them on a good care regimen, will be getting two almost smooth tortoises that will thrive with good care.

TortMomma

You would be surprised how many people don't research proper care. It's a natural thing to me. I actually enjoy it.
I work at a pet store and some of the questions people ask are off the wall. Sometimes I even google stuff at work to help them. They didn't need to get in the car and waste the gas but at least they went somewhere to look for answers. Sometimes even with the correct information, it seems like too much work or money and they'd rather do it their way. It's frustrating!

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Penny- Eastern Box turtle hatchling
Poppy- Russian tortoise

Smile

5 Year Member
Maybe their ages are incorrect? I'm still a noob when it comes to tortoises, but their shells don't look too bad to me... the set-up they live in is horrible, however.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I'm sure it isn't on purpose. They probably think they're being cared for correctly. What's amazing to ME is that in this day and age when so many people have a computer on their phone and such easy access to the internet, that they don't do more research into the proper care. Actually, I don't think $500 for the two tortoises is a bad price. Anyone who gets them and starts them on a good care regimen, will be getting two almost smooth tortoises that will thrive with good care.

Good old Hanlon's razor: never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance. Sometimes I don't really want to forgive the ignorance but that's all it is.

Clawem

It isn't always the fault of the owner when they look up care for their tortoise. I wanted an info sheet for a friends son who was doing a project for the boy scouts on the Sulcata tortoise to show where they come from and their wild habitat and I can tell you that almost everything you find on the internet says they come from a dry environment and should be kept hot and dry and that they receive all the water they need from what they eat and that if kept humid they will get sick and die which we know is wrong. This is one of the only sites that gives the correct information on their correct care (thanks Tom).

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I get they haven't been cared for properly but how on earth are they 10 yrs old and still that little?? I would think they would still grow, maybe not at the rate a well cared for one would but to me those look extremely little.