Look at this poo!

alan88k

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385962428.508034.jpg

Omg can someone tell me, whether my baby's poo poo is healthy or not? This is the longest poo it's ever pooped. It's been 3 days he hasn't pooped n this was what I found just now!
Help!

Alan K.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Do you have sphagnum moss in the enclosure anywhere? What is the substrate you use?

alan88k

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Do you have sphagnum moss in the enclosure anywhere? What is the substrate you use?

Hey ken,
No, I just moved him to a new house yesterday. I'm sure it's so clean as I just done making it. I use coconut coir as substrate. His enclosure room temp kept in 28 celcius low n 32 celcius high with humidity of 80% plus. I fed him like normal too.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Looks like stringy, undigested plant matter to me. Often some grasses and weeds will contain these type of strands that, if not digested, would come out like that. I've never had this happen in my tortoises, but that is what it looks like to me. Watch your tortoise while he eats and see if some of the food he is unable to get a good clean bite from, and more just seems to swallow it whole while bitting. I'd soak maybe daily for the next 5-7 days to insure any other blockage moves along, so to speak.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Baby Runt, my rescue tort, made poop like that in the water. Only, she didn't have any substrate attached to it. Did you find that in the water, or somewhere in the enclosure? It looks like he defecated on the substrate and he rolled it along in passing. As far as length is concerned, since I had experienced that with my tort, all I can say about my tort is that she hasn't eaten very much before she came to me. And, she's been eating like a pig when I got her. Her intestines probably never processed that much food before. It just took a long time to get out, is what I think happened.

As a side note, and, this is gross, but could you just, like break the fecal material apart and check to see if it's a thread, weed, or some other substance. Positively identifying the substance can get to the bottom of this.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The poo has a lot of coco coir sticking to it. Does your tort eat from a slate surface or eat from the substrate?

The soaking will also help you examine the poo as most torts poo while soaking in luke warm water.

Good luck.

alan88k

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Looks like stringy, undigested plant matter to me. Often some grasses and weeds will contain these type of strands that, if not digested, would come out like that. I've never had this happen in my tortoises, but that is what it looks like to me. Watch your tortoise while he eats and see if some of the food he is unable to get a good clean bite from, and more just seems to swallow it whole while bitting. I'd soak maybe daily for the next 5-7 days to insure any other blockage moves along, so to speak.

Thanks for the tip ken. Will soak him daily from today onwards.

sibi said:
Baby Runt, my rescue tort, made poop like that in the water. Only, she didn't have any substrate attached to it. Did you find that in the water, or somewhere in the enclosure? It looks like he defecated on the substrate and he rolled it along in passing. As far as length is concerned, since I had experienced that with my tort, all I can say about my tort is that she hasn't eaten very much before she came to me. And, she's been eating like a pig when I got her. Her intestines probably never processed that much food before. It just took a long time to get out, is what I think happened.

As a side note, and, this is gross, but could you just, like break the fecal material apart and check to see if it's a thread, weed, or some other substance. Positively identifying the substance can get to the bottom of this.

I found it on the substrate. Unfortunately I threw away the poo poo already.
You're right sibi, I will try to check on it next time round. By breaking it apart.

Thanks for your response.

WillTort2 said:
The poo has a lot of coco coir sticking to it. Does your tort eat from a slate surface or eat from the substrate?

The soaking will also help you examine the poo as most torts poo while soaking in luke warm water.

Good luck.

Hey will, thanks for responding. For your info, the poo is found on coco coir so it sticked the coir when i pick it up. I do provide a saucer plate just to serve food. But u know he will drag his foods from plate down to substrate sometimes n I couldn't control him. So as I can tell, he must have eaten some of the coir. Wouldn't be too much of it that I certain.

I soaked him quite regularly, as for your info I'm from tropical region so humidity is just good for sulcata baby all year round. He hasn't pooped during i soak him before, I've only seen him peed alot.

I really hope he's alright!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
When I first got mine, my smallest was about 2 inches. One day my niece went to check on him and screamed. She picked him up and he had a poo about 4 inches with no signs of stopping. I had planted a wheat grass bundle in his enclosure and he got one of the long grass blades and just swallowed it whole. When everything was all over, the poo was nearly 5 inches, almost three times his body length. The look on his face was like that of a proud Papa! LOL...

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
LOL! Love the poo stories! :D:D:D

alan88k

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
When I first got mine, my smallest was about 2 inches. One day my niece went to check on him and screamed. She picked him up and he had a poo about 4 inches with no signs of stopping. I had planted a wheat grass bundle in his enclosure and he got one of the long grass blades and just swallowed it whole. When everything was all over, the poo was nearly 5 inches, almost three times his body length. The look on his face was like that of a proud Papa! LOL...

LOL at that proud face!

Btw..can I see some healthy poo poo pics anyone?? I'm trying to do a bit of research here.. [TURTLE][TURTLE][PILE OF POO][PILE OF POO]

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
alan88k said:
Saleama said:

LOL at that proud face!

Btw..can I see some healthy poo poo pics anyone?? I'm trying to do a bit of research here.. [TURTLE][TURTLE][PILE OF POO][PILE OF POO]

You could get in SO much trouble by being so non-specific in your request!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I am SO GLAD to see so many other people willing to get "up close and personal" with tortoise poop! My husband looks at me with a VERY strange expression when I talk about changes in my tort's poop.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386100342.071630.jpg
Here is one of Little Ricky's from better than a year ago when he was a wee lad.

alan88k

5 Year Member
Omg thanks for sharing guys ! Awesome stories!

Btw..I caught my sully pooping earlier this morning.....this time could b smoother. :D

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386216760.587687.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Aw, he got some on his right foot. How wonderful, not!

alan88k

5 Year Member
Oh my jeez..I weighed him just now..after so many turds released today..I surprisingly found out it dropped from 77gm yesterday to 72gm just now! 5gm of turds seems to be.......
7% of his body weight...for once I thought he has grown bigger but then not all! :(