Is my leopard tortoise constipated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nupek

5 Year Member
My 1.5 years old leopard tortoise hasn't pooped for at least 2 weeks. She is active, eats well. We are now on winter diet - lamb lettuce, romaine lettuce, endive, etc. She is not dehydrated, now gets daily baths in warm water, does not seem to be in pain...but no poo for a long time sounds alarming. I know that I could give her some pumpkin but it's outside season and could not find fresh pumpkin anywhere. Is there anything else I could give her instead to help her? Could it be that she is not eating enough fiber? And most importantly - when should I take her to a vet?
Thanks for in advance for any advice.
nupek.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
If her appetite is good, I wouldn't worry. There's not a lot of bulk in her winter diet, so not much to expel. By the time you take all the water out of those greens, there's not much substance left.
nupek said:
My 1.5 years old leopard tortoise hasn't pooped for at least 2 weeks. She is active, eats well. We are now on winter diet - lamb lettuce, romaine lettuce, endive, etc. She is not dehydrated, now gets daily baths in warm water, does not seem to be in pain...but no poo for a long time sounds alarming. I know that I could give her some pumpkin but it's outside season and could not find fresh pumpkin anywhere. Is there anything else I could give her instead to help her? Could it be that she is not eating enough fiber? And most importantly - when should I take her to a vet?
Thanks for in advance for any advice.
nupek.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I also buy can'd pumpkin when needed. The only thing I would say is, if it were me (and I am a worry wort), if it went on much longer I would take the tort to the vet to be checked for impaction. But that's just my opinion, and I freak out when things are not going 100% right. Best of luck to you! :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Your tortoise may not be constipated and just eating the evidence. Does your tort ever have a dark green messy mouth?

nupek

5 Year Member
The soaks are anything from 5 to 20 minutes. She gets stressed when left longer. Mouth does not seem to be messy. If I can't find a safe canned pumpkin, is there other vegetable that is safe and would help?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Perhaps try a longer soak, mine usually gets a 30 min soak, usually taking twenty minutes to start going. Just make sure the water stays.warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.