Long time lurker, first time poster!

[Blastoise]

Hello everyone!
My name is Tanner and I live in southeast Louisiana. I have been lurking on this site for quite a while now, but finally decided to make a profile and start posting! :D I have two Sulcatas, named Bruno and Scuttlebutt (the story behind the names will surely be told at some point). They are a little over 6 months old. Having said that, I'll mostly be coming here for guidelines on raising them properly so that they will one day be upstanding citizens in tort society.

theresal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Terrytown,LA
I lurked for a while too before making my first post so don't feel bad. And I see you are from my neck of the woods. Welcome to the forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Tanner welcome to the TFO from AZ . Are you implying after we answer all your questions , you don't want to keep up to date or help others with they're torts ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). Glad you stopped lurking and joined us. I could always feel someone watching over our shoulders:p :D. Can't wait to read the story behind the name:D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Not only a lurker, but probably owns a van, right? LOL. Just funnin'. Welcome from Oregon. Go Duck Football. Glad to have you here. Ask, learn, and help…

Zxsong

Pasadena, CA.
Welcome to the social side of the forum :) don't worry a lot of people start from lurking (like me) haha! Very curious to see what your torts look like!!

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
Hi! I also lurked for many months before finally registering a couple days ago. Would love to see photos of your torts! Welcome to you all.

[Blastoise]

Haha Thank you for the warm welcomes and the laughs (of course I own a van, Cowboy_Ken. A Turtle-Van!). Haha Sorry for the long absence, buying a house and moving really drains the spare time (and bank account...).
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398888630.355835.jpg
Anyway, here are my boys (assuming they are both male). Bruno is on the left; Scuttlebutt is on the right. I named Bruno after Filippo Brunelleschi, a renaissance period artist (similar to a certain group of teen mutants). My girlfriend, however, named Scuttlebutt after a gentleman's club in a neighboring town. :/ At first, I was hesitant, but it stuck. lol They are about 8 months old.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome, Back that is....

As I can see, they both bit pyramided. Care to share bit more how you kept the temperature and humidity? And the Spring mix are not the only thing you feed them, right?

I like how your G/F named one of them after a gentleman's club. LOL.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Welcome to the forum from SoCal!

Blue (European hunt-mix dog)
Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

[Blastoise]

they both bit pyramided. Care to share bit more how you kept the temperature and humidity? And the Spring mix are not the only thing you feed them, right?

I was afraid you were going to say that (the main reason I joined was to make sure I stop that from happening/worsening). I have two heat lamps that keep it around 85-90F under them (only one stays on at night). I try to keep a clean water dish in there for them to soak in (in addition to daily warm soaks).
The floor of their habitat is primarily soil substrate with a layer of Reptibark on top.
Regrettably, Spring Mix is a large part of their diet, but I also feed them hay. They have cuttlebone chunks in the habitat to chew on for Calcium. Their home is right next to a window, so they get some sunlight (also have a UVB lamp that is on a timer to supplement as the sunlight is not always directly on them). I'll take a photo of their habitat tomorrow and post it.
Any constructive criticism or advice would be greatly appreciated.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I was afraid you were going to say that (the main reason I joined was to make sure I stop that from happening/worsening). I have two heat lamps that keep it around 85-90F under them (only one stays on at night). I try to keep a clean water dish in there for them to soak in (in addition to daily warm soaks).
The floor of their habitat is primarily soil substrate with a layer of Reptibark on top.
Regrettably, Spring Mix is a large part of their diet, but I also feed them hay. They have cuttlebone chunks in the habitat to chew on for Calcium. Their home is right next to a window, so they get some sunlight (also have a UVB lamp that is on a timer to supplement as the sunlight is not always directly on them). I'll take a photo of their habitat tomorrow and post it.
Any constructive criticism or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are doing not that bad at all. They will grow very big and that little pyramid will not be notice at all.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO. Glad you decided to join in.