Long Beach TTC Expo [Photos]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This was my first Tortoise & Turtle expo. The place was very small and there was not much to see. They sure did get the word out though because the place was packed!

I saw one person from TFO (Jacob). I was hoping to meet more :(

Anyway...here are some photos.

Female Leo
2011-05-22_10-55-40_61.jpg

2011-05-22_11-04-51_726.jpg

2011-05-22_11-05-25_507.jpg

2011-05-22_11-07-02_222.jpg

2011-05-22_11-07-33_299.jpg

2011-05-22_11-07-47_803.jpg

2011-05-22_11-07-57_500.jpg

2011-05-22_11-11-06_545.jpg

2011-05-22_11-14-04_681.jpg

2011-05-22_11-20-47_127.jpg

2011-05-22_11-23-30_351.jpg

2011-05-22_11-23-12_93.jpg

2011-05-22_11-23-52_633.jpg

2011-05-22_11-24-59_518.jpg

The galop. The owner said that the Galop was still too small to determine the sex!

2011-05-22_11-25-39_788.jpg

2011-05-22_11-26-03_429.jpg

2011-05-22_11-26-17_374.jpg

2011-05-22_11-27-18_326.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Those are great photo's but a little suprised to see a couple of those torts on pellet bedding, easy way to confuse a new owner into thinking they are okay for substrate..

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yeah a lot of the Club members there didn't seem up to date. I asked if they bred and sold any Hermanns. The woman who did said she only sold within the club. And so I said "Okay, So I can become a member and once I do I can purchase some?" and she said "You'd have better luck buying some online..."

I was like wow okay.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats crazy, you probably wouldn't want to buy one from her anyways...

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
:)Great pic's what was up with the :tort: eggs was it to show size comparison?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I'm going to beat Greg to the punch and say "Interesting".
Were all those tortoises for sale?
Thanks for sharing the Pics Fernando

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
coreyc said:
:)Great pic's what was up with the :tort: eggs was it to show size comparison?

Yeah, just size comparison Corey. There was NOTHING for sale there...well other then turtle jewelry and hawaiin turtle shirts.

onarock said:
I'm going to beat Greg to the punch and say "Interesting".
Were all those tortoises for sale?
Thanks for sharing the Pics Fernando

Nope! It was basically just them showing off their tortoises.

I did get contact info for Mr. Hoekstra (?) He was the one with the platynota's. He said he'll be getting some Radiated soon and breeding

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi . thanks for taking pictures. that was nice of you. where there any pancakes? if so, they were wild right? i went to a ny show and it was good and bad. i got bad tort. infor till i came here! thanks again, lindy

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have only been to two shows one in Henderson, NV in 2005 and one here in Arlington last month. I was very impressed with the first one, but was very dissapointed in the one here in Arlington...they were like night and day..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To anyone who's interested: The bylaws of CTTC strictly forbid them from selling turtles and tortoises at their shows. They can make arrangements to meet afterwards and sell off the show grounds, but not at the show. So maybe that's why that Hermann's person said what she did.

I was surprised at the pellets for bedding, the Galop on the cement floor, the redfoot in with the sulcata and the notice that tortoises get most of their water from their food. I belong to CTTC and it surprises me to know that so many members are out of date. (That leopard was sure pretty!)

Ralph Hoekstra is one of the only folks who have been able to breed and hatch Manouris impressa.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Great thanks for sharing these pictures. If no animals were for sale that would have been a disappointment for me.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
To anyone who's interested: The bylaws of CTTC strictly forbid them from selling turtles and tortoises at their shows. They can make arrangements to meet afterwards and sell off the show grounds, but not at the show. So maybe that's why that Hermann's person said what she did.

I was surprised at the pellets for bedding, the Galop on the cement floor, the redfoot in with the sulcata and the notice that tortoises get most of their water from their food. I belong to CTTC and it surprises me to know that so many members are out of date.

Ralph Hoekstra is one of the only folks who have been able to breed and hatch Manouris impressa.

Interesting. Thanks Yvonne. I'm just wondering why she just didn't give me her contact info or tell me that when I was asking. That's okay. Ralph is a cool guy. He recently sold his adult platynota's (female for $10k!!) Wow I didn't know this hobby can get so pricey! 0_o

ccschwitzer

5 Year Member
Orange County, Ca
I stopped by the expo yesterday morning. lots of neat tortoises/turtles with great stories. unfortunatly a lot of sick/injured animals, but they helped educate new tortoise owners (such as myself) or perspective tortoise owners of what to do/not to do. loved it, wish they had events like that more often.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ccschwitzer said:
I stopped by the expo yesterday morning. lots of neat tortoises/turtles with great stories. unfortunatly a lot of sick/injured animals, but they helped educate new tortoise owners (such as myself) or perspective tortoise owners of what to do/not to do. loved it, wish they had events like that more often.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Candace. You'll learn a lot on this forum as well and what works best for you. Unfortunately, rabbit pellet's and raising a tortoise completely dry as a hatchling is what we should NOT do.

The forum was local and they were nice people :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I could be wrong but is LB the one who works with the care society? one of the chapters has recently been sorta kicked out because they were selling animals and the CTTC main goal is conservation and education. There is no animal selling at the shows or meetings individuals can of course sell animals but the Only club members rule sounds kinda of funny to me, of course it could just her being careful with someone who she does not know either. we have a member who breeds leopards and she will offer a few a year sometimes to be adopted out by club members only she will charge 100 and it all goes to the club. I don't know if it is legal or what but no one has complained so far, as for rabbit pellets sometimes it is like screaming at a brick wall IMHO.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
I could be wrong but is LB the one who works with the care society? one of the chapters has recently been sorta kicked out because they were selling animals and the CTTC main goal is conservation and education. There is no animal selling at the shows or meetings individuals can of course sell animals but the Only club members rule sounds kinda of funny to me, of course it could just her being careful with someone who she does not know either. we have a member who breeds leopards and she will offer a few a year sometimes to be adopted out by club members only she will charge 100 and it all goes to the club. I don't know if it is legal or what but no one has complained so far, as for rabbit pellets sometime sit is like screaming at a brick wall IMHO.

Yeah I sorta felt like she was just sizing me up by my looks and the whole "You'd have better luck buying online" makes it sound like she wouldn't sell to me personally even if I was a member. I understand though. They are her babies she can do what she wants with them.

There was a guy named Mark, from the Orange County Chapter. I guess he was able to join them. He was really cool and gave me adoption info to send in to his club. He said that they should have Russians available now.

Status
Not open for further replies.