Tortoise and Turtles at the NY Reptile Expo

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hey gang,

Here is a video depicting every turtle and tortoise at the last NY Reptile Expo in White Plains. This is definitely not the best show for chelonians, but it gives you an idea of what to expect at this large northeast expo. Thanks for watching, and for understanding that I only take these videos to report what's there, not to promote or bash what was there.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
You like how the Russians, Hingebacks, and Redfoots all get kept together? Nothing like an array of poop from around the world to eat, filled with every parasite imaginable while you endure the most stressful moments of your life! Whoops, I'm supposed to stay neutral here :-/
the spread of disease! do theses "breeders" know that they are harming the torts by mixing the species?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Who knows... It's not about that, is it? It's about making a few bucks and not breaking the law. If people could sell their captive hatched offspring, there'd be less reason to import animals from outside the country.

Laws don't always make sense, and reptile show tables seldom make sense, haha. But I don't think people give this stuff that much thought. They're turtles. Some live on mulch, some live in water, most are cute to most people, and some can be sold for a small profit, haha. This other stuff seems to be reserved for nerds like us to worry about :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought about the leopards was if that active one was female and she has that big pyramid on the last scute above her tail, she probably would not be able to be bred.

Did the NYT&TS have anything to do with this show? I'm just amazed that in this day and age some vendors still don't know about mixing species. (or don't care)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
No, the NYTTS has not been there when I've ever visited. I wish they were, so I can ask them who I need to talk to about figuring out when their upcoming events will be! Checking their website has not worked this far, haha. And by the time they send their emails out, it's too short notice for me to plan to go. I've been an official member for more than a year and I've never made it to an event/meeting!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Will might be able to point you in the right direction. He was a member and speaker often when he lived in Pennsylvania.

Turtlepete

South Florida
You like how the Russians, Hingebacks, and Redfoots all get kept together? Nothing like an array of poop from around the world to eat, filled with every parasite imaginable while you endure the most stressful moments of your life! Whoops, I'm supposed to stay neutral here :-/

Yeah, I don't mind you bashing them at all ;). Importing tons of these tortoises just to not even give them proper care once they arrive here, shoving them into containers with tortoises from all around the world, pretty much risking their lives by doing so, just to make a quick buck by selling them to unsuspecting buyers? Completely deplorable practice. There are a million sides to importing WC tortoises and turtles, but in this case, with these methods….Ugh. Hermann's and greeks and hingeback's and reds (oh my!) all together? How stupid are these people? I question if its a matter of they are simply too ignorant and stupid to understand proper husbandry, or if they just really don't care.
If only the baboon's that make these laws were smart enough to see the consequences of the 4-inch law…..

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
No, the NYTTS has not been there when I've ever visited. I wish they were, so I can ask them who I need to talk to about figuring out when their upcoming events will be! Checking their website has not worked this far, haha. And by the time they send their emails out, it's too short notice for me to plan to go. I've been an official member for more than a year and I've never made it to an event/meeting!

They sorta all hang their existence on the webage, which is maintained by Jim V. last I looked. If not for the webpage it would only exists by phone call chains of the inner most circle. The annual seminar is more or less the big deal ,the annual show runs in fits and bouts of being super well attended to not so well. There are still a great many people who keep in touch not by the internet alone, and they are the mainstay of membership. When I was first in PA NYTTS had at least 9 meetings a year, the show and the seminar. But that is a great deal of work for the volunteer board. They seem somewhat reluctant to turn it over, it is the result of their past hard work, and yet they are also very fatigued with running it. Everyone's interest is with their own animals like here, and sharing that interest. But at some point the sharing just seems to wear people out more than the actual animals and the joy or delight they bring in and of themselves.

They had that super giant seminar now a few decades ago, it was such a big deal the remaining excitement from it still drives several board and attending members. Some of the venues have been a big attraction as well like the Natural History museum and the various local WCS facilities. It's a good organization but now somewhat an outdated model for exchange between people.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
They sorta all hang their existence on the webage, which is maintained by Jim V. last I looked. If not for the webpage it would only exists by phone call chains of the inner most circle. The annual seminar is more or less the big deal ,the annual show runs in fits and bouts of being super well attended to not so well. There are still a great many people who keep in touch not by the internet alone, and they are the mainstay of membership. When I was first in PA NYTTS had at least 9 meetings a year, the show and the seminar. But that is a great deal of work for the volunteer board. They seem somewhat reluctant to turn it over, it is the result of their past hard work, and yet they are also very fatigued with running it. Everyone's interest is with their own animals like here, and sharing that interest. But at some point the sharing just seems to wear people out more than the actual animals and the joy or delight they bring in and of themselves.

They had that super giant seminar now a few decades ago, it was such a big deal the remaining excitement from it still drives several board and attending members. Some of the venues have been a big attraction as well like the Natural History museum and the various local WCS facilities. It's a good organization but now somewhat an outdated model for exchange between people.
What a great account of this, Will! I kind of see everything you mention in my conversations with members. I'd love to figure out how to get into that inner circle a little better.I'm only a few hours away from this entirely important organization, and have yet to be a part of their programming. To me, there's something wrong with that. It definitely should be my job to just suck it up and get there the next time I have any slim chance of doing so. Perhaps I can help them share information about what they have going on. Their facebook page looks great, but it hasn't been updated in a year and a half :-/

Thanks for your expertise on this, Will. It's much appreciated. In fact, I always appreciate your two cents on everything!