Lolas outdoor enclosure HELP

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Okay guys I need some of yalls advice. I have an area of the backyard that I want to use for Lola, its 24 ft long and at its most narrow spot 4ft. I am going to plant some of the seeds from carolina pet supply in there and then when they are established let Lola have at it. I need to find a cheap way to make this an enclosure. I would just put up cinderblocks and call it a day, but I am worried about Raccoons. Help please!! It is an odd shaped space as you can see.

Attachments

• lola1.jpg
    lola1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 84
  • lola2.jpg
    lola2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 80
  • lola3.jpg
    lola3.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 75

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be much easier to build something in that spot if you took out the bender board boarder and made it a straight line, allowing the grass to grow and fill in the taken out curves.

I use coral lumber. It comes in 16' lengths and is appx. 5.5" wide. I sink 4x4's at 8' intervals then nail up three or four boards horizontally. I use masonry caps along the ground inside the fence to discourage them digging. And it's easy to build a cap along the top edge, but my Russian tortoises have never tried to climb out.

If you measure out from the existing fence to the shortest part of the curve, then make it straight from that spot, that's plenty big enough for your tortoise. And you would be able to add light weight wire doors across the top to keep out vermin. But Raccoons are pretty crafty and its very hard to guard against them. It might be easier on you to just bring the tortoise in at night.

Here's an example of my board fence with the masonry caps on the ground:

07-11-13_zps7fa3c243.jpg

And this is my russian pen (ignore the silly structure on the fence. I was trying to get my sprinkler up high to work right):

03-26-13a_zps41e36d6d.jpg

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Thats what I was thinking, I just want to use as much space given as possible.

Do you buy the masonry caps at like Home Depot/Lowes?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Masonry Cap" is the official name of the item, but they look like rectangular stepping stones. They're made to fit on top of a cinder block. Any home improvement store sells them.