Location Inside

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
Russian Tortoise

I am just in the planning stages for my new tortoise table. The last time I had one I had a lot more room - this time not so much. I have all the room I want for his outside enclosure but very small for his inside enclosure.

I have an area I would really love to put him but would love feedback on it. It would be under a window in the living room. This is the perfect spot for a "box/table" type thing, perfect spot in our house that we have the room and I thought it would be great in the end because he would have a mixture of real sunshine with his lights during the day.

BUT

Always a but right?

It has an air/heat vent right under it. Do you think I will have much issue with this? We do keep the house very cool since we rang in the 100's here it usually is on all day. I will have his lights and heat light as well...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The uv does not go through glass, or very little of it, so the window won't help with that. It might get too hot for a russians, they don't need as high of temos as some others and can take cooler temps then some others too. If this is your only spot, I would be sure to be able to block the sun if it gets too hot and possibly the vent if it gets too cold or hot depending on the season. Also monitor the temps at tort level.

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Idaho
Well the windows don't really let that much sun in at all in that location. Maybe a small amount for an hour at the most. I was just thinking it would be nice with natural light. I know when we finally open up our big heavy curtains after a few days it makes the house so much more cheery.

My family made me realize something though after posting this... he wont have to worry about the air on during the summer because he has a large outside enclosure so it'll be the heat for the heater. So i'll start out there and see how it goes.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Mine are all situated to get sunlight in their habitats indoors. My Russians sulk on gloomy days despite the light bulb, and they all (hermann's, Russians & box turtles) sit in the sunlight when they can. My crew definitely responds to the weather. I live in Mordor where the shadows lie, we get more gloom than anyplace with a population.

I recommend that you put the habitat on wheels. It will make your life so much easier in the long run.

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Idaho
The wheels are a wonderful idea! That way if the heat in the winter does mess too much with the inside of the enclosure I can wheel it away when the heater is on. Or just to a different location.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Robbo90, is this a floor vent from a forced system? If so, though we don't use them here, I've seen sold air deflection covers that go on the vents. The idea with these is the air is deflected into the room and away from the wall. You maybe able to help control temps with one of these.