Little Bit of Tortoise Love

THCafe

Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, Fl
Hi! My name is Angel and I live in a small town in northern Florida called Bonifay. I'm looking to adopt a tortoise or box turtle (preferably a tortoise) but I don't have the money to pay 2oo-300 dollars plus shipping for a tortoise because I want to be able to afford to make an environment that suits the species perfectly.

I did research and found a lot of sites talking about the number of tortoise that have been abandoned or left to wonder in the wild. So I thought about adopting but most site want more to adopt one than other want to get one that was raised by the site breeders. I'd really love to give a poor baby a home but 500$ is kinda ridiculous when other sites want 200 for a perfectly healthy, uninjured tortoise.

So If any one can help that would be awesome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises can cost thousands by the time your are done with indoor housing, outdoor housing, proper lighting and heating, food, supplies, and vet bills, if any.

If a couple hundred bucks one way or the other is more than you are willing or able to spend, then a tortoise might not be the right pet for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom's right. Just getting the tortoise and plunking him down in the back yard doesn't work. It's quite expensive to set him up properly. For instance, let's say you find a Rescue that has a 40lb sulcata that needs a home and you go get him. Now you have to reinforce your back yard fence, build him a shelter and when winter comes, you have to buy the appropriate heating supplies to keep him warm over the winter.

Most legit rescues don't ask a fee for their adoptions, so you may need to save all your $$ for setting him up properly. Good luck. I hope you are able to find what you're looking for. It's a wonderful lifestyle!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think that, depending on your climate and what kind of tortoise you get, it can be done on a budget. Do some more research on this site, there are people that have examples of inexpensive closures etc.Craigs list, dollar stores, and secondhand stores can be some places to find good things. and you should definitely be able to find a tortoise for less than $200, check the want ads. With that being said however it definitely will cost you money to get things right. take a look at your budget and see what you can do but be prepared for unexpected costs. from personal experience I would also say make your first enclosure as Big as you can because it is more expensive in the long run to keep adding to it.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Most common baby tortoises don't cost over 200 bucks from breeders. In fact there are plenty to choose from.

— Gus

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have not raised a baby tortoise so I may be wrong on this, experts please correct if I am. It seems like hatchlings and very young tortoises may be more expensive and harder to keep then adults. Something to think about, but don't get discouraged where there's a will there's a way.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I would suggest looking for a rescue tortoise or box turtle by contacting turtle and tortoise clubs , reptile rescue organizations, and reptile veterinarians. You could also try the Humane Society or craigslist. I would also suggest considering looking for a creature you can best provide for. I have had box turtles for 19 years, and find that the adults rarely get sick. They also don't need as much space to live in as many tortoises do. I love tortoises, but there are many positives about box turtles when you are on a budget. And I must say they are full of personality.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Angle welcome to the TFO from AZ . Or you can move to AZ and adopt a AZ desert tort . The tort don't cost more then 10 - 15 dollars but the move is exspenseive . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome to TFO, Angel! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome.
Don't get discouraged. The right tort will come along.
@leigit is right , you don't have to spend allot of $ to set up a very good environment. I start babies out in an under the bed plastic container meant for clothes from wallmart. $12

Because it has a lid I can keep humidity up. Much better than an expensive terrarium set up - just not as pretty.

You can grow your own food in another one. Simple.

Check Craig's list too. Sometimes people just need to re home and sell the heat lamps , UVB , and enclosures right with them. But often the exclosure needs to be fixed.

People want babies because they are cute and small - but as mentioned - babies take more care. An adolescent or adult might be better for your first tort.

Good fortune !

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)