Lights

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
So I have a little 2 and a half yo sully calles hiccup. I also have a green iguana called ziggy. Recently i have built a new enclosure for the ziggy iggy. Unfortunately the one light i had was previously shared between the two. It is now permanently fixed in ziggys new home. I have a dome fixture and need to know what type of bulb to buy for hiccup (tort). Heat is not an issue because they have their own room wich is kept at 80 or above year round.20180225_163516.jpg20180225_163543.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is indoors? Ahhhhh, I see now…

You need a basking bulb for heat, and you need a UV tube. I use 65 watt flood bulbs for basking heat. 80 is good as an ambient, but you still need a basking area that is 95-100 all day. Also, make sure it is 80 down there on the floor. 80 at eye level could be lower than 70 on the floor. MVBs run too hot and some of them stop making any UV prematurely. I don't recommend them any more. They also desiccate the carapace too much for my liking. Cfl type bulbs are not very effective UV sources and some of them damage reptile eyes. I would't use those either. This leaves tubes for indoor UV. They are long lasting, safe and effective. There are many types. For this situation, I'd get and Arcadia 12% HO tube and mount it about 24" high over the tortoise.

Do you humidify this room? That would be good for iggy and the tortoise.

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
This is indoors? Ahhhhh, I see now…

You need a basking bulb for heat, and you need a UV tube. I use 65 watt flood bulbs for basking heat. 80 is good as an ambient, but you still need a basking area that is 95-100 all day. Also, make sure it is 80 down there on the floor. 80 at eye level could be lower than 70 on the floor. MVBs run too hot and some of them stop making any UV prematurely. I don't recommend them any more. They also desiccate the carapace too much for my liking. Cfl type bulbs are not very effective UV sources and some of them damage reptile eyes. I would't use those either. This leaves tubes for indoor UV. They are long lasting, safe and effective. There are many types. For this situation, I'd get and Arcadia 12% HO tube and mount it about 24" high over the tortoise.

Do you humidify this room? That would be good for iggy and the tortoise.
I had a humidifier running in there, but, it broke. Need to get a new one. Been making sure they have plenty of water and also spraying them both down with spritz bottle until i can replace humidifier. Thank you for you recommendations i have a bulb that will work for basking. I swear i saw a flourescent "bulb" like those twisty ones especially for uv that would work, i guess I will buy a new ballist if not.