What kind of lighting do you guys have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi all! I have a wonderful three year old leopard tortoise named Ziggy who lives in a 50 gallon aquarium when he isn't outside enjoying the sunshine. I have a Zilla halogen/fluorescent combo fixture that I have had for 2.5 years and I have loved it until recently. (It's starting to go kaput!) I'm interested in buying a new hood and really like the heat/light combo ones.

I was wondering what kind of lighting/heating you guys use for your leopards?

Thanks in advance!

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I use a Mercury Vapor Bulb, they cost alot at the petstore but if you buy it online on Amazon you save some money.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hi I have a Powersun & a SolarGlo for the day CHE at night when it gets cold. I would like to see some pic's of your leo if you could post some :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Pandacakes:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I also use the MVB for the habitats that are in the house. But I try to get them all outside as soon as they're big enough because the real sun is much better, and I must say that at three years of age all of my babies are outside 24/7.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use the sun. All day everyday baby.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thank you for the replies! I'm so happy that I stumbled upon this forum :) I need to charge my camera so that I can post some pictures of my little ziggle butt. My name is Kelley by the way :)

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I use the sun at least 3 hours everyday, unless a monsoon storm is in the are and in the enclosure I use a day-glo and basking fog light, night time I use night glo.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Just a question. have you been using the same bulb for the last 2.5 years? or is it just the fixture that is going bad? The uva/uvb bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months or a year if you have access to a uvb/a tester. after 6 months the light output stays the same but the uvb/a rays deminish. I use a mercury vapor bulb and swear by it.

nicolek

5 Year Member
Portland
Welcome from Oregon. If we only got more natural sunshine instead of rain.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I use a powersun mvb 100 watt bulb during the day and either a red or black light flood light style bulb at night.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm from Oregon too and unfortunately the weather is too gross most of the time for him to be out all day. I have been changing the bulbs every 6 months (two ceramic heat emitters at night and uv bulb and two heat lamps in the day) and I'm pretty sure that it's the fixture going bad. The fixture itself has been getting really hot. It's hard to tell if it's the fixture or the temp controller going bad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.