Building a habitat way a head of time

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland tx
HELLO Fellow Members!

So we are officially moved into our new home as of this weekend andI''m beyond excited for several reason .. One of those reasons ( that I haven't mentioned to me husband lol) is the room for our Hiccup. I know he/she isn't near ready to be let free to roam the planned area but I figure it will me give me time to make it the way I want it and the way that hiccup needs. To me its a pretty big size 5000-6000 sq feet of fenced in area .... it also has shade and sunny areas as well as lots of grass :)
I'm planning on planting some safe to eat plants . This way the plants can get established and have time to grow and maybe some will multiply. I am also planning on building his/her winter house. but I have a few questions I'm hoping y'all wont mind helping me with...

1. is it safe for our well to be in the same habitat with hiccup ? The well is in a nice sized shed with a door so hiccup wouldn't be able to get inside...

2. am I doing this right lol?

3. is there any recommendations that y'all might have ?

I will post pictures soon of the future habitat.

I'm so sorry that I don't usually say a hole lot . I'm terrible at knowing what to say online. I'm trying to get better at this .

Thank y'all for all of your help not with just this post but the others I have posted before . I truly admire y'all and take each of y'alls advice to heart. I enjoy reading y'alls post and I'm learning so much from y'all. Thank Y'all from the bottom of my heart

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a nice sized area. Having the well inside the enclosure should be no problem, but you will need to make a plan for a work truck to have access to that area in the event of any well problems. When building the enclosure walls, you might want to design and incorporate an easily removable section in the area where a truck would come from.

Another note is that all the fencing for the tortoise must present a visual barrier. I can see some wooden fencing in the background of some photos, but I also see hog fencing in the foreground in one pic. Chain link or hog wire is fine, but you'll need to add a visual barrier along the bottom 12-16 inches. Strips of thin plywood can work for this purpose.

A useful tip that I learned from Yvonne years ago is to build the enclosure with several sections that can be closed off to the tortoise. This will allow one area to grow or recover, while another area is grazed and eaten up. This can be whole sections of the enclosure, or it can be smaller attached segments of the enclosure with a door or portal that can be opened and closed.

Cleveland tx
Thank y'all so much for replying ... I love the idea of sectioning it off. I never thought about doing that so the grass can grow :) and to make sure our well had access to it .... Thank you for recommending the plywood . That sounds like a good and cheap way to do it. I could probably get a couple of pieces out of one sheet of plywood ?