Night Bulb Question?

lightningthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Sorry I haven't been active for a while its great to be back :)

I'm thinking of getting a light bulb for my Hermann's - Lightning.

The reason is because his enclosure gets a little cold at night, (Regular Night Temp is about 10ºC) (Indoors)

I would also like to look in at night, Without having to disturb him.

I've seen these Exo-Terra Night Glo's and Night bulbs, But I am told they are crap and only last a few months, Any ideas, comments recommendations?

Exo Terra Bulb - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-PT2130-Night-Heat/dp/B000633URQ/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I prefer ceramic heat emitters. The light can cause stress and disrupt sleep for the tortoise. I use a flashlight to check on mine at night. Not everyone agrees with this so someone should be along who can tell you what they use.

lightningthetortoise

5 Year Member
I like the idea of a Ceramic heat emitter, Thanks for the reply! @Jodie
I had heat mats, and they're not that effective, so might try one of those.

Only problem is I can't find one that I really like on Amazon, Anyone know any could Heat Emitters on Amazon UK?

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Can't incandescant bulbs be wrapped in aluminum foil to give off heat minus the light? If it works, night heating will be way cheaper than a CHE.

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Can't incandescant bulbs be wrapped in aluminum foil to give off heat minus the light? If it works, night heating will be way cheaper than a CHE.
Could that make them explode? Not trying to be smart just wondering??

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
no problem. i'm also just curious. that's why i'm asking.
if aluminum is bad, heat proof spray paint can also make the bulb opaque..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They make "BLACK" heat lamp bulbs. I use them and they emit heat and a faint purplish glow that let me know that they are working and let me see what is going on inside. I would not wrap tin foil around a light bulb and even heat "proof" paint would likely cause the bulb to overheat and crack or give off fumes that would not be good for the tort.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I had a black bulb and it gave off no light at all, but it didn't last 3 weeks before it broke. Not sure if that's the norm or if it was faulty but che has lasted a lot longer

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I had a black bulb and it gave off no light at all, but it didn't last 3 weeks before it broke. Not sure if that's the norm or if it was faulty but che has lasted a lot longer
Mine have been working...and outdoors for two winters now. The light is like a purple glow and it might otherwise be invisible if it weren't for the pitch darkness out there at night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No light at night is the proper way. Just like it would be outside, they are hunkered in and its dark.
Every tort I have and had, picks its place to sleep for the night and doesn't move till morning, where they still are until the light comes on. Really no need to look in at night.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
What brand do u use?
That's from an old post.
I stopped using them because they always seemed to fail when I needed them most.
Now I only use CHEs
CHEs are actually cheap when you consider that they last many years.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have raised many a tortoise using black light bulbs for night time heat. Not one tort or box turtle ever told me the soft glow stresses them out. yeah I know that there's those on this farm that don't approve of using black light bulbs at night but seriously I never ever felt that my tortoises were stressed out by the light. Now they are too big so I use CHE's.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have raised many a tortoise using black light bulbs for night time heat. Not one tort or box turtle ever told me the soft glow stresses them out. yeah I know that there's those on this farm that don't approve of using black light bulbs at night but seriously I never ever felt that my tortoises were stressed out by the light. Now they are too big so I use CHE's.
Nope
Doesn't seem to stress them out.
But they stress ME out by blowing out every few months

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure that it would stress them out, but why use them? A che last forever and tortoises for the most part, don't do much, if anything, once hunkered down for the night.
I don't see the point of a night light. Unless you are putting your fear of the dark on them. ??lmao

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Not sure that it would stress them out, but why use them? A che last forever and tortoises for the most part, don't do much, if anything, once hunkered down for the night.
I don't see the point of a night light. Unless you are putting your fear of the dark on them. ??lmao
Actually, I don't use much lighting for my house...I was taught to use black light bulbs in the very beginning, for the chelonia, incandescent 65 watt. I was afraid of che's having burned myself one time...they are too hot. So it was blb's for a lot of years. Then in about a 2 month period recently, 2 adult box turtles ended up on their backs and overheated under a che. One was my first box turtle, and in that same period I killed Grumpyface with a che, then the tort shed fire...what is that old saying? once burned twice shy?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh
Actually, I don't use much lighting for my house...I was taught to use black light bulbs in the very beginning, for the chelonia, incandescent 65 watt. I was afraid of che's having burned myself one time...they are too hot. So it was blb's for a lot of years. Then in about a 2 month period recently, 2 adult box turtles ended up on their backs and overheated under a che. One was my first box turtle, and in that same period I killed Grumpyface with a che, then the tort shed fire...what is that old saying? once burned twice shy?
Oh wow didn't know all that happened from a che.
I never had a problem with them and they last forever. They are hot to the touch but I never thought they were so hot to burn a tort.
Totally understand why you wouldn't want them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Back "in the beginning". In the dark ages, that's all we had.
Lights intended for other purposes and some moldy old library books.
I still have a pack of 10 NEODYMIUM frosted reptile bulbs from the 1980s.
I'm not even sure what they are!