National Geographic Heat Lamps

Ok, so I have a lot of National Geographic Heat lamps. 3 for the Tortoise, 2 for the Chameleon, and 1 for the hedgehog. I switched to these since the old heat system for my tortoise was too old and burnt out, and started using that brand for the chameleon/hedgehog just because it was the only heat lamps available that can hold 150ww. During the span of using these (4 months now), I've replaced 3 bulbs thinking they weren't working since I tested them by screwing them into other heat lamps and seeing them not turn on. Now, I'm at my 4th bulb, realizing the problem is indeed every single heat lamp I own. Turns out these pieces of junk randomly turn off during the day, and when they turn on they smell like they're burning something (probably something in the socket). So what do you use? I can't return/exchange these from the local pet store since its been more than 30 days.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I guess it depends on the store if you can return them or not. Being that it's been more than 30 days I'm willing to bet you're stuck with them. I use a Che for heat and tune UVB for light. I have the lights on a timer and the Che on a thermostat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not fully screwing the bulbs into a socket holder could cause some arcing inside the socket and eventually a burned connector.
have you looked inside the threaded portion of your lamp holder? (Unplugged) These are high heat, high wattage things and don't last forever........Or as you already said, the bulbs could simply just be crap.
The burning smell has me thinking arcing.

Not fully screwing the bulbs into a socket holder could cause some arcing inside the socket and eventually a burned connector.
have you looked inside the threaded portion of your lamp holder? (Unplugged) These are high heat, high wattage things and don't last forever........Or as you already said, the bulbs could simply just be crap.
The burning smell has me thinking arcing.
I know they don't last forever, but the last light fixtures I had before these lasted me around 8 years or so. These ones are burnt out after 4 months, all 3 of them. When everything is screwed in tight and together, it wont turn on. If I fuss with it and have it slightly unscrewed, then it works. Ironically, making it work is whats causing more damage it seems.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
i've tried these before. they are terrible. I know that they're the cheaper versions of the Zoomed UVA/UVB and stuff, but just get the more expensive ones, unless you can take the torts outside for true sunlight a few days a week, then i hear that the cheaper UVB bulbs are fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know they don't last forever, but the last light fixtures I had before these lasted me around 8 years or so. These ones are burnt out after 4 months, all 3 of them. When everything is screwed in tight and together, it wont turn on. If I fuss with it and have it slightly unscrewed, then it works. Ironically, making it work is whats causing more damage it seems.
Having to unscrew it a little for the light to come on sounds like a damaged contact like I explained. Or a problem in the manufacture of the bulb itself. The center portion (tip) contact is what I suspect. The other contact is the threaded portion.
I have a bunch of so called reptile bulbs I purchased at Walmart on clearance. Sounds like the same junk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have noticed that my MVB can't be screwed in tightly. I screw them lightly until it stops, but not tight.