Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi, I can see that lighting plays a big part in keeping a tortoise , however it varies because of different species , I was wondering if I had the correct lighting and if my tortoises will benefit from it...
I understand they need UVB which gives the same rays as the sun (i think) so I have got a flood light over the pen which floods the whole playing area of the playing area of the enclosure but not the house area in a white ray of light which I assume is UVB ..
Then I have a simple desk lamp, which holds a 60watt for my tortoise to bask in...
Is this an okay lighting for it? Do I provide anything else?

I <3 my torts!

I forgot to mention these lights both cost me a fortune , they are both from pet shops the desk lamp cost me about 16 pound , but the flood light cost me 100 with the stand and floodlight !! Do it must have good quality

I <3 my torts!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What brand and type are your bulbs? You may post pictures of the bulbs or the boxes they came in if possible.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
It's an Arcadia UVB light i know nothing else but here is a pic of both ImageUploadedByTortForum1372274734.297199.jpg

I <3 my torts!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your UVB lamp is fine, however your basking lamp needs to be pointing vertically straight downwards to provide a hood hot basking spot which is essential for your tort to be abke to digest his food properly

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Okay :) thanks a lot , this forum is most reliable and I would of be lost without you people!! :)

I <3 my torts!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm thinking your Russian would appreciate having a larger area to wonder and explore; maybe even a second story for some climbing exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.