Lighting tips, tricks and questions๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ‘.... !๐Ÿ˜‰

ElizaB

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Here is a picture of My hermanns enclosure.
65w floodlight on during daytime
LED daylight
Ceramic heater-always on
Uv lamp from Arcadia 12% on for four hours during midday

Substrate mixture of cypress, coconut fibre, and fir bark.
Humidity about 70% temperature also 70-75

Attachments

• 6966758E-15DC-4FE0-AB44-A5910E75EF54.jpeg
    6966758E-15DC-4FE0-AB44-A5910E75EF54.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
Hi Eliza,
That looks good and it gets some natural daylight, so that is a help.

How far is the 12% Arcadia bulb from the animals back... ?
how many inches is the top of their carapce away from the UV bulb when they are directly under it?

also what are the dimentions of the box?

It looks like around 4 feet by 2 feet?

4 hours a day may not be enough on that Arcadia bulb.... it probably should be more like 8 hours.

but I need to know how far the bulb is off the animals first.๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Here is a picture of My hermanns enclosure.
65w floodlight on during daytime
LED daylight
Ceramic heater-always on
Uv lamp from Arcadia 12% on for four hours during midday

Substrate mixture of cypress, coconut fibre, and fir bark.
Humidity about 70% temperature also 70-75

Do you worry about the plastic overlay melting or burning where it touches the lighting fixture?

ElizaB

Canada
Do you worry about the plastic overlay melting or burning where it touches the lighting fixture?
I monitored that for a few days and itโ€™s ok, Iโ€™m able to touch that lamp with my bare hands. Itโ€™s more the ceramic heater that is hot but itโ€™s far enough away to be safe. Eventually I want to get plexiglass but itโ€™s ridiculously expensive.

ElizaB

Canada
Hi Eliza,
That looks good and it gets some natural daylight, so that is a help.

How far is the 12% Arcadia bulb from the animals back... ?
how many inches is the top of their carapce away from the UV bulb when they are directly under it?

also what are the dimentions of the box?

It looks like around 4 feet by 2 feet?

4 hours a day may not be enough on that Arcadia bulb.... it probably should be more like 8 hours.

but I need to know how far the bulb is off the animals first.๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜
The enclosure is 3x4. I admit a little on the small side but heโ€™s not pacing the walls so I guess heโ€™s ok.
The uv is 9 inches from the top of his shell.

The previous owner fed him lettuce with occasional fruit, Iโ€™m having a hard time persuading him to expand his diet.

ElizaB

Canada
I just noticed my second picture didnโ€™t upload. Here it is. I still need to get him a better water dish.

Attachments

• C66AF7E8-A623-40C3-BCF3-FD17B168FEE1.jpeg
    C66AF7E8-A623-40C3-BCF3-FD17B168FEE1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
Hi,

The light is not on top of plastic right, ? because 90% of the UV will be filter out and the light will be rendered useless for UVB if the light passes through glass, plexiglass or plastic.

I would be using a 35" inch Arcadia 6% bulb / fixture if it is only 9 -10 inches.

So with the 12% ...I would back up that fixture probably about 3-4 inches (12" - 13" off the top of his shell)
if it is a 12% bulb ...
and leave it on 8 - 10 hours a day.

Lack of strong full spectrum light for at least 8 - 9 hours a day will depress their pineal glands in their brains.
BIG HINT:๐Ÿ˜
Research S.A.D. in humans and google function of pineal gland.
That is why so many folks have trouble keeping tortoises inside long term.
The environment over all is too dim.
We *think* its bright... but it is not as bright as they experience outside in the wild. Especially nearer the equator where so many come from.

But naturally, they all should have a big hide that is shady and "damper". To simulate an in ground burrow.

IN a large cage , FRANKLY there should always BE AT LEAST TWO HIDES.
One very warm ... and one on the cool side.๐Ÿข๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ
It doesn't cost hardly anything to put in two hide boxes and/or create 2 caves --

and have one at say 72 - 76 degrees and one at 88 - 90.

In the wild the animal has CHOICES and we must give them the same choices in captivity.

I know it is hard to tell without using a solarmeter 6.5.... but you are shooting for around 3.0 - 4.0 UVB directly under the light.

I don't think that the whole top has to be covered with plastic ??. Unless your house is very dry air. ??

If the ambient humidity is say 50 - 60% in the cage and he has a hide box filled with sphagnum moss, I think you will be fine on humidity. Mist daily in the morning to simulate morning dew. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

That way you can raise up the 12% bulb to 12 - 14 inches and have on a timer 8-10 hours a day.

shallow GLASS WATER DISHES are best.....
if a dish is made of cheap plastic or resin
(like those chinease made cheap rock looking resin dishes) >>>> plastic can leach toxins. ๐Ÿ˜
Plus glass dish or dinner plate
can be properly cleaned since it is non porous.
They like to drink and sit in rain puddles in the wild.

Hope this helps,
Best of luck & Happy Holidays. Todd

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Todd! I'd love if you'd give my enclosure a checkup / recommendation. It measures 8'x4'x4.5'. Ambient light is a LED shop light, UVB is a T5 HO 10.0 bulb, and basking is a 65w incandescent flood bulb. I need to make sure I have this as optimal as possible since he doesn't get out much this time of year. Thanks!20220917_111651.jpg

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
Hi Tim.

I do have a few quick questions.๐Ÿ˜

Please remind me, what kind of tortoise do you have?
size?

Is there enough of a large basking area where the animal can get his /her whole body up to 90 - 95 degrees if they want to?
It seems that 65 watt bulb would not be enough in Ohio.๐Ÿค”๐Ÿฅถ
unless there is other heat in there.

Are we just talking one 10% bulb in a t5 fixture?

I can not tell exactly what that black fixture is that you have hanging.

Does it take more than one bulb?

IMPORTANT:

How long is the UVB bulb and is it a T5 bulb (skinny tube) or T8 (old style) bulb ?

How far is the UVB bulb hanging above the top animals carapace?

Do you have a Solarmeter 6.5?

I have to go out this afternoon and appointment .....

But I will be back to check this forum this evening!

And see your answers.

Then maybe I can throw you out a few ideas based on your above answers!

๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Thank you
Cheers, Todd

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hi Tim.

I do have a few quick questions.๐Ÿ˜

Please remind me, what kind of tortoise do you have?
size?

Is there enough of a large basking area where the animal can get his /her whole body up to 90 - 95 degrees if they want to?
It seems that 65 watt bulb would not be enough in Ohio.๐Ÿค”๐Ÿฅถ
unless there is other heat in there.

Are we just talking one 10% bulb in a t5 fixture?

I can not tell exactly what that black fixture is that you have hanging.

Does it take more than one bulb?

IMPORTANT:

How long is the UVB bulb and is it a T5 bulb (skinny tube) or T8 (old style) bulb ?

How far is the UVB bulb hanging above the top animals carapace?

Do you have a Solarmeter 6.5?

I have to go out this afternoon and appointment .....

But I will be back to check this forum this evening!

And see your answers.

Then maybe I can throw you out a few ideas based on your above answers!

๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Thank you
Cheers, Todd
I have a 5y/o 60 lb. sulcata.

Primary heat is an oil filled heater that keeps the ambient at 80F. The hanging fixture is my T5, 24" long. The 65w bulb is right beside it, but I had the fixture down when this pic was taken to clean it. Temp under the lamp is roughly 95F to 100F.

Yes, my T5 is a single 24" bulb.

T5 sits about 16" from the top of the carapace.

I have a solar meter, but it needs to be replaced. It's on my list to order.

Thanks!

ElizaB

Canada
Hi,

The light is not on top of plastic right, ? because 90% of the UV will be filter out and the light will be rendered useless for UVB if the light passes through glass, plexiglass or plastic.

I would be using a 35" inch Arcadia 6% bulb / fixture if it is only 9 -10 inches.

So with the 12% ...I would back up that fixture probably about 3-4 inches (12" - 13" off the top of his shell)
if it is a 12% bulb ...
and leave it on 8 - 10 hours a day.

Lack of strong full spectrum light for at least 8 - 9 hours a day will depress their pineal glands in their brains.
BIG HINT:๐Ÿ˜
Research S.A.D. in humans and google function of pineal gland.
That is why so many folks have trouble keeping tortoises inside long term.
The environment over all is too dim.
We *think* its bright... but it is not as bright as they experience outside in the wild. Especially nearer the equator where so many come from.

But naturally, they all should have a big hide that is shady and "damper". To simulate an in ground burrow.

IN a large cage , FRANKLY there should always BE AT LEAST TWO HIDES.
One very warm ... and one on the cool side.๐Ÿข๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ
It doesn't cost hardly anything to put in two hide boxes and/or create 2 caves --

and have one at say 72 - 76 degrees and one at 88 - 90.

In the wild the animal has CHOICES and we must give them the same choices in captivity.

I know it is hard to tell without using a solarmeter 6.5.... but you are shooting for around 3.0 - 4.0 UVB directly under the light.

I don't think that the whole top has to be covered with plastic ??. Unless your house is very dry air. ??

If the ambient humidity is say 50 - 60% in the cage and he has a hide box filled with sphagnum moss, I think you will be fine on humidity. Mist daily in the morning to simulate morning dew. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

That way you can raise up the 12% bulb to 12 - 14 inches and have on a timer 8-10 hours a day.

shallow GLASS WATER DISHES are best.....
if a dish is made of cheap plastic or resin
(like those chinease made cheap rock looking resin dishes) >>>> plastic can leach toxins. ๐Ÿ˜
Plus glass dish or dinner plate
can be properly cleaned since it is non porous.
They like to drink and sit in rain puddles in the wild.

Hope this helps,
Best of luck & Happy Holidays. Todd
Thanks so much for all the advice. The uv is not shining through any plastic. I wasnโ€™t sure about the height.
Yes we live in a very dry climate especially in winter.
Do you think itโ€™s too dim? I could add this thing called a happy light thatโ€™s supposed to simulate bright sunlight.

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
I don't know about a happy light, LOL

but I would add a Jungle Dawn Full spectrum LED bar on a timer.

They are *full spectrum* to simulate more natural light and made for reptiles ....and are super bright.

An 18"inch 22 watt
one would be enough because they are super bright.....

on a timer 8 hours +/- a day in conjuction w/ the UVB light.

๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
Hi Tim, it is good you have oil filled radiator. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸผI was worried if it is only a 65w bulb. LOL But if it were me, I would def. add more UVB for sure. I would do 2 or 3 x 12% 46" INCH bulbs up about 18" - 24" over carapace. Or 2 or 3 x 14% 46" tubes hung up about 28 - 36" . I usually set up custom lights and UV test for folks & zoos that have large sulcattas. Basically a light set up that would yield 2.5 - 3 UVI over 1/3 the cage..... is what I usually shoot for. (More if it is on a "stepped" day cycle to ramp up and down simulating day cycle UV levels,*) . On 8 -10 hours a day. With ample shade box. As you probably know, reading of 2.5 UVI is less than half of what low normal mid day sun is. And probably a third or 4th of what it is in Africa. So it certaintly is not too much.๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope this helps. Anyway, you or any forum member is free to call or e/m me if they want anything more detailed . ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ (* stepped cycle like 1.0 UVI in morning then 2.0-3.0 UVI at say 10 AM ...then 4.0 UVI at noon to 3 PM...for so for a few hours mid day sun >>>JUST LIKE IN NATURE--- and then back down in reverse. Easily accomplished with cheap 10.00 - 20.00 light timer, like zoos do with expensive equipment, but anyone can do for 10.00 - 20.00 light timers>>> hint hint folks can e/m me if interested๐Ÿ˜) Below 3 bulb 48" fixture that would broadcast UV over a 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 or larger pen. Cheers

Todd

Attachments

• light2.jpg
    light2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hi Tim, it is good you have oil filled radiator. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸผI was worried if it is only a 65w bulb. LOL But if it were me, I would def. add more UVB for sure. I would do 2 or 3 x 12% 46" INCH bulbs up about 18" - 24" over carapace. Or 2 or 3 x 14% 46" tubes hung up about 28 - 36" . I usually set up custom lights and UV test for folks & zoos that have large sulcattas. Basically a light set up that would yield 2.5 - 3 UVI over 1/3 the cage..... is what I usually shoot for. (More if it is on a "stepped" day cycle to ramp up and down simulating day cycle UV levels,*) . On 8 -10 hours a day. With ample shade box. As you probably know, reading of 2.5 UVI is less than half of what low normal mid day sun is. And probably a third or 4th of what it is in Africa. So it certaintly is not too much.๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope this helps. Anyway, you or any forum member is free to call or e/m me if they want anything more detailed . ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ (* stepped cycle like 1.0 UVI in morning then 2.0-3.0 UVI at say 10 AM ...then 4.0 UVI at noon to 3 PM...for so for a few hours mid day sun >>>JUST LIKE IN NATURE--- and then back down in reverse. Easily accomplished with cheap 10.00 - 20.00 light timer, like zoos do with expensive equipment, but anyone can do for 10.00 - 20.00 light timers>>> hint hint folks can e/m me if interested๐Ÿ˜) Below 3 bulb 48" fixture that would broadcast UV over a 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 or larger pen. Cheers

Todd
Thanks Todd! I would love to take your advice. I'm a little confused about the step cycle though. Can this be accomplished using three single-bulb 46" or 48" fixtures, each set on separate timers? I have several GoSund timers I can use already. Thanks!

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
Hi Tim,

for the stepped dawn dusk cycle, YES
you would need separate fixtures to do that... and just adjust each timer accordingly.
or
one of my new 3 bulb fixtures that are wired to accomodate that ....because I designed it with bulbs on 2 separate circuits.๐Ÿ˜ I have them in stock but they are not up for sale yet.

Still writing the directions manual and manufacturing the accessories to go with them. (ie: the slide in "shade area" and "no UV zone" lenses)

They will be released in early January.

A few tortoise folks out there are testing / using them in real life variety of applications.

Please feel free to E/m me directly if you need more info. ๐Ÿ˜ [email protected]
Thank you!

Attachments

• light5.jpg
    light5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 14

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
Hi Tim,

you would need separate fixtures to do that... and just adjust each timer accordingly.
or
one of my new 3 bulb fixtures that are wired to accomodate that ....because I designed it with bulbs on 2 separate circuits.๐Ÿ˜ I have them in stock but they are not up for sale yet.

Still writing the directions manual and manufacturing the accessories to go with them. (ie: the slide in "shade area" and "no UV zone" lenses)

A few tortoise folks out there are testing / using them in real life variety of applications.

Please feel free to E/m me directly if you need more info. ๐Ÿ˜ [email protected]
Thank you!
ps. side notes : my friends / business associates (who make the Jungle Dawn and Arcadia Jungle Dawn in China for the past 10 years) did an awesome job on these fixtures. Quality is thru the roof... we have worked on them the past 2.5 years..... and covid really put a damper on getting them done! But the hobby as a whole really needed a DECENT UV light that that can HANDLE / UVB and ILLUMINATE PROPERLY LARGE AREAS for large enclosures, tortoise pens and Zoo displays. 99% of the hobby and pet store stuff is all GEARED TO THE Little Terrarium, small cage market with NOTHING suitable for the above. That is why it is so hard to get something , anything for totroise tables & larger pens.....so I have taken care of that.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hi Tim,

or

Thank you!
Awesome! I can certainly hold off until the new fixture is released.

NTTD

The Great Basin
Now that generic incandescents are mostly off the market are there affordable options for a "daylight heat lamp"?

I'm aware of the commercial "reptile" options e.g. Arcadia, Exo Terra but is there something inexpensive more like the tried-and-true incandescent flood lamps?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now that generic incandescents are mostly off the market are there affordable options for a "daylight heat lamp"?

I'm aware of the commercial "reptile" options e.g. Arcadia, Exo Terra but is there something inexpensive more like the tried-and-true incandescent flood lamps?
There is nothing that beats the regular hardware store flood lamps. Buy them up wherever you can find them. Order them online for delivery if possible.

Midwesttort

5 Year Member
Princeton, IL
I can use some help. Per the wise experience of Tom, I purchased a smart enclosure for my leopard hatchling. Itโ€™s not set up yet but this is what it will look like. Can you advise me on lighting? I read the thread and understand mostly but Iโ€™m confused on what a spot light is and what a flood light might look like in the states. Iโ€™m a visual person. Is there pictures you could share? IMG_2032.pngIMG_2034.png