Height for 2x3’ closed enclosure and lighting

Mock Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
Thanks, Tom. I’m in contact with AP and the wait time is now 4.5 months! ? But I’m going to place an order as soon as I get the details settled. Now I’m considering going 2x4x2’. Would you mind giving me any advice, tips on any custom request? I’m going to ask for 6” litter dam. LED strip mounted in front. They said 18” is what they use. I was considering ordering a waterproof 24” LED strip and send it to them to install in the front center. But the waterproof one is covered. Im thinking that’s ok because I’m adding a 22” Arcadia 12% in the middle. A small dome fixture for lower wattage flood incandescent bulb for basking on one side, and maybe RHP on the same side for night temp. What size RHP would be good for the enclosure this size? LED and basking light will be on the same timer and rheostat in front for the basking lamp, and a thermostat for RHP. UVb will be on timer to come on 3-4 hours during the day. I’ll hang the UVB on chains so the height can be adjusted depending on needs, and the rest ceiling mounted. Does that sound ok? Thank you in advance!

Mock Tortoise

California
Thank you for sharing the detailed images of your enclosure method89. It looks amazing!
Can I ask how you came up with the placement of light fixtures? In particular I’m wondering why you placed the UVB on one side in the back. I was thinking placing that in the middle center. My thought was, I will place the basking bulb and RHP on one side (same side), and the UVB in the middle center with hides and shading object scattered so the tort will have warmer bright and less bright side and cooler bright/lass bright side, if that make any sense.
I currently use MV for heat and UVB and my tort likes to burrow away from it. I’m not sure if he’s seeking less light or cooler temp.
Thanks!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
BTW, method89, is your baby Hermann’s? He/she is adorable!
Yes that's Sergio, our Western Hermanns. My placement was kinda haphazard... I had the light socket in the middle and the heat panel takes up the other side. the strip was too big to run in the center front to back.

Mock Tortoise

California
I love the name Sergio.
I see, I didn’t even consider how big the RHP is. Back to the drawing board.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, Tom. I’m in contact with AP and the wait time is now 4.5 months! ? But I’m going to place an order as soon as I get the details settled. Now I’m considering going 2x4x2’. Would you mind giving me any advice, tips on any custom request? I’m going to ask for 6” litter dam. LED strip mounted in front. They said 18” is what they use. I was considering ordering a waterproof 24” LED strip and send it to them to install in the front center. But the waterproof one is covered. Im thinking that’s ok because I’m adding a 22” Arcadia 12% in the middle. A small dome fixture for lower wattage flood incandescent bulb for basking on one side, and maybe RHP on the same side for night temp. What size RHP would be good for the enclosure this size? LED and basking light will be on the same timer and rheostat in front for the basking lamp, and a thermostat for RHP. UVb will be on timer to come on 3-4 hours during the day. I’ll hang the UVB on chains so the height can be adjusted depending on needs, and the rest ceiling mounted. Does that sound ok? Thank you in advance!
I'd put in an order and get in line ASAP. They won't get to making your enclosure for months, and you can change the details many times between now and then if needed.

I like to go bigger on my enclosures. 48x30x24" would give your tortoise some more room.

I don't think you need a waterproof LED, but go for it if you want. The cover will disperse the light better.

I'd do a 21" RHP in the middle toward the back to leave room for the HO tube in the middle toward the front.

I would not run the LED on a dimmer. Keep that at full brightness, but go-ahead and dim the basking lamp to get the correct temperature under it. I don't use a dimmer and instead just use the right bulb, but nothing wrong with the dimmer system.

Chain mounting for the HO is also what I do. I want to be able to adjust the height as needed. I'm getting more than 3 years out of my Arcadia bulbs when used this way.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Where are you located in California? I am in the Sacramento area and also have a spider tortoise (plus many others). I find the PVC closed chambers are perfect for them. I actually make my own versions and sell them. If you are in Calif, there would probably be no delivery charge. My wait time is about 3 weeks right now, and actually am building a few right now with one going to S Calif in a few weeks. Another could go along with! If interested, PM me and give me your email address and I can send complete info for you. I normally am at all the reptile shows, but they have all been canceled for the forseeable future with all the Covid-19 issues.

Mark

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen Mark's enclosures in person. You can't do better, and he practically gives them away for the cost of materials. Plus the lack of wait time is fantastic. If he had been making them when I bought all of my AP enclosures, I would never have bought any AP enclosures. They come fully furnished with all the correct heating, lighting, timers and thermostats already installed, and its all done by a top notch tortoise keeper. They are designed, assembled and set up 100% to provide optimal conditions for tortoises.

If ever I need any more enclosures, I'll be getting them from Mark.

Mock Tortoise

California
I'd put in an order and get in line ASAP. They won't get to making your enclosure for months, and you can change the details many times between now and then if needed.

I like to go bigger on my enclosures. 48x30x24" would give your tortoise some more room.

I don't think you need a waterproof LED, but go for it if you want. The cover will disperse the light better.

I'd do a 21" RHP in the middle toward the back to leave room for the HO tube in the middle toward the front.

I would not run the LED on a dimmer. Keep that at full brightness, but go-ahead and dim the basking lamp to get the correct temperature under it. I don't use a dimmer and instead just use the right bulb, but nothing wrong with the dimmer system.

Chain mounting for the HO is also what I do. I want to be able to adjust the height as needed. I'm getting more than 3 years out of my Arcadia bulbs when used this way.

Great! Thank you so much!!!

Mock Tortoise

California
Where are you located in California? I am in the Sacramento area and also have a spider tortoise (plus many others). I find the PVC closed chambers are perfect for them. I actually make my own versions and sell them. If you are in Calif, there would probably be no delivery charge. My wait time is about 3 weeks right now, and actually am building a few right now with one going to S Calif in a few weeks. Another could go along with! If interested, PM me and give me your email address and I can send complete info for you. I normally am at all the reptile shows, but they have all been canceled for the forseeable future with all the Covid-19 issues.

Mark

OMG! I’m in Sacramento. I just moved here a few weeks ago. I will PM you as soon as I figure out how. Thank you!

Mock Tortoise

California
I've seen Mark's enclosures in person. You can't do better, and he practically gives them away for the cost of materials. Plus the lack of wait time is fantastic. If he had been making them when I bought all of my AP enclosures, I would never have bought any AP enclosures. They come fully furnished with all the correct heating, lighting, timers and thermostats already installed, and its all done by a top notch tortoise keeper. They are designed, assembled and set up 100% to provide optimal conditions for tortoises.

If ever I need any more enclosures, I'll be getting them from Mark.

Thank you, Tom! That’s a great endorsement!