Lighting question for new box turtle

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, I am getting a rescue Boxturtle this weekend. I had questions about which UVB bulb to get 100 or 160 W? My indoor enclosure is a Rubbermaid tub 42" x 20". I plan to hang the bald either from a light stand or put it directly onto the chickenwire top. The tub is 17 inches deep so the light would be about 12 inches above the substrate. I do plan to put some real plants in there, I may put some fake ones until the real runs can grow big enough. I have heard that box turtles like filtered light, is this true any suggestions on which bulb to get or anything else concerning this enclosure :) would be greatly appreciated. I also plan to put a regular lightbulb on the other end of the enclosure mainly just for light. Thank you.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It sounds like that will be too much heat and light for a boxie. I have my smaller boxie in a tub that size. I use a 60 to 75 watt black moonglo bulb for heat and a 5.0 tube fluorescent across the middle of the enclosure but slightly closer to one end. I'm assuming you are referring to an MVB bulb. I think that might be too much for an enclosure of that size. And a second light on the other end is definitely too much. Yes, boxies like filtered sunlight.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you for the advice. Is a black moonglow bald a CHE? Sorry for all the stupid questions :) I am not very familiar with the tube lighting but I will be by the end of the day :) which brand do you recommend? I know this enclosure is small but it's all I can do right now, I have a 4' x 5' enclosure outdoors. It is going to be over 100° for the next week here, is that too hot for the turtle to be outside? The enclosure is in the shade during the afternoon.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Box turtles don't really like anything over 85ish. They start hiding at about 90.

I believe the UV brand that's preferred is Zoomed. You'll want a 5.0 rated flourescent tube that is at least as long as half the enclosure. You can usually get them in fixtures already at Petco or Petsmart. Moonglo bulbs are also called blacklight bulbs. Looks like a regular incandescent bulb, but lets off a purpley light that's not so bright.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
No night heat is needed. In fact, they need the cool nights and they need the darkness. And you are correct that they prefer filtered light. Boxies will enjoy the rising or setting sun but after that they will retreat to cover or dig in. Very rarely will you see a box turtle out and about mid day once it gets real hot out. I would also recommend that when possible you get the little guy outside for real sun as often as possible. I kill two birds with one stone by putting them out in the evening sun in a tub filled with room temp water and let them swim and sun for an hour or so. And always provide a big enough water dish of clean water for them to swim and drink from inside their tub. 24/7!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks for all the info, I'm heading off to the store now. I will post a picture when I get it all set up.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well I got the Boxturtle last night, her name is Tickle. Here is the picture of the enclosure. I moved the strip light a little so you can see better, it is a Zillah brand because the store did not have zoom med It will work until this winter when she is inside all the time and I plan to update the lighting. So far she has destroyed or tried to destroy all the plants so I know I will have to get more those :) any suggestions are welcome, thank you.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405296009.387093.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405296028.637177.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405296052.603607.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I would add some dried leaves (leaf litter) on one side for her to dig under, and throw in a load of worms for her to hunt. You could also throw in some pill bugs. Keep it warm and moist. Nice enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you, can it be leaves from basically any tree? The only dry ones I have right now are from a laurel bush and I was told those are poisonous. Should I put them on both the warm and cool and?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My bulbs are about 12 inches above the top ofTickle's shell. The 75 W black heat bulb is not getting it nearly hot enough, it only gets to about 75°. This is supposed to be the wet and Warmside. Should I try a CHE and if so what wattage?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
What are you measuring your temps with?

One problem I see is the heat bulb fixture. It is one of those narrow ones with only a 5 inchewidth I think. I'm never able to get heat output with those. I only use the 8 or 10 inch ones. The larger ones disperse the heat over a large area. The small ones seem to trap heat and doesn't allow the heat to reach much area.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The best option if you can do it is to simply lower the bulb until you get it right. There was a thread on here that showed them using the handle ledges on the inside of the tub to place a rack of some sort across the entire enclosure and they put the heat lamp on this. I just use the cheap regular bulbs for basking and a CHE for warmth when needed. Box turtles, at least mine, rarely bask. Mine come out in the early morning or early evening, eat drink grab some lamp time and go back under unless I turn loose a mess of crickets for them to hunt down.
She is a cutie by the way. I LOVE box turtles!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What are you measuring your temps with?

One problem I see is the heat bulb fixture. It is one of those narrow ones with only a 5 inchewidth I think. I'm never able to get heat output with those. I only use the 8 or 10 inch ones. The larger ones disperse the heat over a large area. The small ones seem to trap heat and doesn't allow the heat to reach much area.
I measure the temperature with a temp gun. You're right the fixture is a 5 inch deep dome with a black light heat bulb in it. The enclosure is 21 inches wide and 42 inches long, I am trying to get the heat up in about the last third of it or so. Would you suggest a CH E or a spot bald or a black light or a floodlight? All of these have shown up in my research. The screen that the fixture will sit on is a bout 12 inches from the substrate. If needed I can get a light stand and put the ball bop higher. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I measure the temperature with a temp gun. You're right the fixture is a 5 inch deep dome with a black light heat bulb in it. The enclosure is 21 inches wide and 42 inches long, I am trying to get the heat up in about the last third of it or so. Would you suggest a CH E or a spot bald or a black light or a floodlight? All of these have shown up in my research. The screen that the fixture will sit on is a bout 12 inches from the substrate. If needed I can get a light stand and put the ball bop higher. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you
I think your bulb would be putting out more heat if you were using a fixture that is an 8 or 10 inch dome. It spreads and disperses more heat.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It was mentioned in this thread that I should let the turtle swim. Do they really swim or kind of weed through the water? How deep should I make the "pool" ? I got a plastic paint tray to put in the outdoor enclosure because it has a little ramp and I was going to put large pebbles in there for traction. With this work or should I get something deeper?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
It was mentioned in this thread that I should let the turtle swim. Do they really swim or kind of weed through the water? How deep should I make the "pool" ? I got a plastic paint tray to put in the outdoor enclosure because it has a little ramp and I was going to put large pebbles in there for traction. With this work or should I get something deeper?

A kiddie pool would work fine. They pretty much dog paddle, but aren't like aquatic turtles who can be under for long periods of time. Having some bricks in the pool or something like that that they can climb out and bask on is good, and having a shallow end and deep end so they can rest if they are tired.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
A kiddie pool would work fine. They pretty much dog paddle, but aren't like aquatic turtles who can be under for long periods of time. Having some bricks in the pool or something like that that they can climb out and bask on is good, and having a shallow end and deep end so they can rest if they are tired.
I use a long low sided tub and prop it up on one end so the water is about 2 inches on the shallow side and about 6 - 8 inches on the deep side. Like Star says, they don't swim like a water turtle but they will paddle around and dive under and actually swim on occasion. I throw worms in with mine and they will eat it out of the water. I have also seen wild turtles in shallow water hunting minows and crayfish.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think your bulb would be putting out more heat if you were using a fixture that is an 8 or 10 inch dome. It spreads and disperses more heat.
Okay, I got it 10 1/2 inch dome and put a 75 W black light bald in it and put it on one end of the enclosure. Now the temperature goes from 70 to 75 on one and up to 80 to 85 on the other. It kind of depends on where exactly I point the temperature gun but I figure a 70 to 85 gradients is pretty good for such a small enclosure. Thanks for all the advice. I also have a kiddie pool that my dog doesn't playing anymore so I am going to try that this weekend and see how she likes it.