help with juvenile eastern box turtle

_xxvvxx_

okay so a few days ago my friend gave me a young eastern box turtle because she couldnt care for it anymore. its age is about a year and a half and its around 2 or 3 inches long. i just need some help with its enclosure. since i live in virginia i would like to be able to put it outside but i dont know if its big/mature enough yet. if not what should the indoor enclosure be like (lights, heat, how to keep it humid, etc)? would a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub work? can anyone help?

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello there and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your box turtle.
have a look under the turtles forum and the American box turtles section for more information on their care.
Not my species, but somebody with knowledge of this type will be along soon, I hope.
You've come to the right place for the best up to date care information and people with experience.
Good luck!.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They are native to Virginia, so that little one can go outside with no trouble when you have the right setup. Make it predator proof. Unless you intend to let it live outdoors all year and hibernate naturally, don't make the habitat so big that you can't find him in it.