Lighting help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I'm from the uk and would really appreciate some lighting help!!!! At the moment I have a 100w reptiglow (sp?) heat lamp, and a uv tube 60w.

My uv bulb is about to go any day now so I need to buy a replacement, however I'm wondering whether to go buy the same (which I was sold as a package deal in a petshop along with unsuitable bedding and a feeding dish that was far to deep) or whether something else would be better??? I hate the heat bulb, and would like to change his heat source as I have so far in 10months bought between 8 and 10 heat bulb replacements as the stupid things keep blowing!!!!! To be fair I have had the uv bulb 10month and it's only now looking as if it's about to go.

So my question is.... Get a replacement? Or go for an all together different setup? I just want what's best for tinkerbell really and ideally something easier for me. Any recommendations???
(incase this is relevant... Tinkerbell is a 2yr old horsfield)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I use standard household spotlights from B&Q for basking... Much cheaper and just as effective!

With regard to UVB tubes, they're effective for about 6 months, so yours is definitely ready for replacement. I was told by the vet that the UVB output didn't need to be particularly high; 3% was fine.

If the weather ever improves and you can get him outside for a couple of hours a day, you don't need a tube.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Oh wow I didnt know that you could use normal spotlights as basking thanks that would be much cheaper. And I didn't know that the uv was only effective for 6months.... :/ I hope I haven't done much damage :( I do get him outside now and then in nice weather, I have just made him an outdoor enclosure, but for some reason all he does is go in his hide when I put him out there, maybe it's not warm enough :/

Poor tinkerbell hasn't been outside all week though anyway as all it's done is rain grr

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The outdoor enclosure is new to your tort. It will take him time to get used to it... Quite a long time probably! Torts are slow on the uptake :)

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I'm hoping the weather will improve so that he will have some time to get used to it #sigh#

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even in the shade, he is getting uv. You can use light or non light, such as a ceramic heat emitter for a baking spot. As for the bulbs blowing so much, I am going to have to guess that the socket you are using does not hold the amount of wattage as your bulb is. That's the only time I have had problems with a MVB bulb.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The problem isn't shade in the UK at the moment. We had 1 week of summer a fortnight ago and it's been rainy autumn chill ever since! :D

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I have just bought a d3 UVB and heat lamp which is an all in one heat and UVB bulb.. Cost quite a bit so I'm hoping it's worth it... 12month guarantee on it though which is reassuring.
Plus I ordered a NEW tortoise table :) I got my old one as part of the deal with the tortoise and it's not particularly great and I worry he gets bored in there. The new table is awesome I can't wait for it to come it is like a tort villa!!! Has a little balcony and a ramp and all sorts. Will post pics when it arrives!!!!!

Have been very down lately :( :( :( so treating tinkerbell is a way to cheer me up as he always makes me smile!!

Status
Not open for further replies.