lighting/heat issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
I have a russian tort names Tanker and I never had any problems with his temps being low but I recently moved and now his temps are not getting higher that 80-90 during the day. I have a heat lamp and a uv bulb on all day and I turn them off at night. any ideas?

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Is it indoor? If it is and in a tank or tort table you can use under tank heater mats.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Also, make sure you are using an accurate thermometer. the area under the basking light should be about 95, but it might be 85 to 90F just an inch or two away. A digital thermometer with a wire probe, or an infared thermometer (point and take temp) are the best. If your temps are accurate, then you will need to try to lower your heat/UV lamp if it is over 12" away. Sometimes using a regular basking or incandescent light in the middle of the enclosure will help brighten things up and add some warmth, if needed.
Turning the heat source off at night is fine and preferred, if your house does not get under 60 overnight.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
ewam said:
Is it indoor? If it is and in a tank or tort table you can use under tank heater mats.

tanker has a two level house so i cannot attach heating pads

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Simply lower the fixture to get the right temps.

Also, is your UV bulb one of those coil type florescents? Those can damage tortoise eyes. There are better alternatives.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
ewam said:

Watch the heat mats they get super hot. I use them for lizards, also if you use one then use thermostat to control heat where you want. I measured mine hitting 120 one time and mine is for a 40 gallon. Also upgrade wattage on the light build for heat but not to high that makes your enclosure or whatever it is to hot

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
Tom said:
Simply lower the fixture to get the right temps.

Also, is your UV bulb one of those coil type florescents? Those can damage tortoise eyes. There are better alternatives.

it is the coil type...oh no...what one should I use??????

lynnedit said:
Also, make sure you are using an accurate thermometer. the area under the basking light should be about 95, but it might be 85 to 90F just an inch or two away. A digital thermometer with a wire probe, or an infared thermometer (point and take temp) are the best. If your temps are accurate, then you will need to try to lower your heat/UV lamp if it is over 12" away. Sometimes using a regular basking or incandescent light in the middle of the enclosure will help brighten things up and add some warmth, if needed.
Turning the heat source off at night is fine and preferred, if your house does not get under 60 overnight.

wow thank you for all that info!

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Turtle Guru said:
Watch the heat mats they get super hot. I use them for lizards, also if you use one then use thermostat to control heat where you want. I measured mine hitting 120 one time and mine is for a 40 gallon. Also upgrade wattage on the light build for heat but not to high that makes your enclosure or whatever it is to hot

Hey I didn't look back at this thread until now, but ya I use an under tank mat at night but the temp only gets up to 79.

Kolorbl1nd said:
I have a russian tort names Tanker and I never had any problems with his temps being low but I recently moved and now his temps are not getting higher that 80-90 during the day. I have a heat lamp and a uv bulb on all day and I turn them off at night. any ideas?

Can you maybe upgrade to bigger heat bulb?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
A MVB bulb like a Powersun that provides UVB and heat in one bulb toward one end is probably best for a tortoise enclosure. 100w is usually enough, unless your enclosure is large.
Then, if it is still too dark during the day, just add the incandescent or basking bulb midway down for extra light.
UV coil bulbs caused tortoise eye problems and even blindness in the past. Not sure if they are any better now, but probably better not to take the risk.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
You can move the heat lamp up and down... But you should leave the Uv bulb at the manufactures recommended distance..moving it 1-2 inches down can expose the animal to more uv rays than it would encounter in the wild.... Moving it up can make the UVB output negligible..

Status
Not open for further replies.