Light circle

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I always worry that the salad mixes may have things he shouldn’t eat?🥺 he mostly has Kale and spring greens
He needs much more variety.
Some salad mixes are better than others, it's a case of reading the ingredients and doing some research. Iceberg and little gem are not great, but darker leaves like frisee, Batavia, escarole, radicchio, lollo rosso etc are better. I don't buy any mixes with beetroot, spinach or sweetcorn - anything not recommended on the tortoise table.
I pick out all the stalky bits and soak what's left to rehydrate it and to remove any chlorine that it may have been washed before packing.
My leopard is a grass eater so I grind up Readigrass in a blender and add that to wet leaves to add fibre (he won't eat dried grass and hasn't seemed very keen on any grass until last summer when he started grazing on the fresh grass in his enclosure).
I also add some of the foods I mentioned before to add variety.
He has a small pinch of calcium powder added a couple of times a week and occasionally a small pinch of Nutrabal.
Can't wait for the weeds to return!

PixiePie

Surrey
He needs much more variety.
Some salad mixes are better than others, it's a case of reading the ingredients and doing some research. Iceberg and little gem are not great, but darker leaves like frisee, Batavia, escarole, radicchio, lollo rosso etc are better. I don't buy any mixes with beetroot, spinach or sweetcorn - anything not recommended on the tortoise table.
I pick out all the stalky bits and soak what's left to rehydrate it and to remove any chlorine that it may have been washed before packing.
My leopard is a grass eater so I grind up Readigrass in a blender and add that to wet leaves to add fibre (he won't eat dried grass and hasn't seemed very keen on any grass until last summer when he started grazing on the fresh grass in his enclosure).
I also add some of the foods I mentioned before to add variety.
He has a small pinch of calcium powder added a couple of times a week and occasionally a small pinch of Nutrabal.
Can't wait for the weeds to return!
Yeah I’m waiting for the weeds too! I’ve just ordered these 🙈 I need payday already!

Attachments

• DB844E58-C484-4C2E-91EB-0462B5FEF5DB.png
    DB844E58-C484-4C2E-91EB-0462B5FEF5DB.png
    306.3 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thankyou so much! Been looking at the cactus pads! Didn’t realise how expensive they are!😂 but messaged a seller to ask if they have used any fertiliser on it!
Its fine to use fertilizers to grow tortoise food. Plants can't grow without fertilizer. You don't want pesticides or other toxins, and you don't want a tortoise to have direct access to fertilizer products, but its fine to use fertilizers to grow their food.