Light circle

PixiePie

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey
Hi! Sadly my parents bought me a tortoise when I was younger and we were given lots of information which turns out was all incorrect 😭 I want to get him a general health check so emailed the vets to ask if they see reptiles.

But I’ve noticed he has some peeling skin, and a weird light patch around his nose and wondering if anybody knows what it could be?
Also with mail cutting, should I take him to a groomer for that? And I’m unsure if his shell is too bumpy as he had such a poor diet for years 😭 I feel awful for not doing it sooner and so scared of being judged for not doing good enough :( I’ve been starting to grow some plants for him he LOVED the cat grass and fell asleep in it 😂 I love him so much and just want to give him the best even if he is about 15 now :(

Also can anybody recommend some more quick growing good snacks I can grow at home for him?🥰 and fun enrichment ideas!

Attachments

• C145DA63-0109-4E28-BEF5-A94E1E719BA1.jpeg
    C145DA63-0109-4E28-BEF5-A94E1E719BA1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 13277C48-CF13-4D56-9544-52A6AE7DF381.jpeg
    13277C48-CF13-4D56-9544-52A6AE7DF381.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 8928F687-9CDC-48F8-8F41-E4678C2DB529.jpeg
    8928F687-9CDC-48F8-8F41-E4678C2DB529.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully an expert will be able to help you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Join the club, many of the veteran members here started their torts all wrong years ago. The correct info just wasn't there
The light spots on his face could just be him changing color, some get lighter some darker. Could also be he is rubbing against something.
The pyramidimg is bad but not that bad.
As for enrichment ideas, a proper sized outdoor enclosure for 24/7 living with a proper heated hide if you get cold winters.
If you are in the US, Kapidolo Farms and tortoisesupply.com might have what your looking for food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! Sadly my parents bought me a tortoise when I was younger and we were given lots of information which turns out was all incorrect 😭 I want to get him a general health check so emailed the vets to ask if they see reptiles.

But I’ve noticed he has some peeling skin, and a weird light patch around his nose and wondering if anybody knows what it could be?
Also with mail cutting, should I take him to a groomer for that? And I’m unsure if his shell is too bumpy as he had such a poor diet for years 😭 I feel awful for not doing it sooner and so scared of being judged for not doing good enough :( I’ve been starting to grow some plants for him he LOVED the cat grass and fell asleep in it 😂 I love him so much and just want to give him the best even if he is about 15 now :(

Also can anybody recommend some more quick growing good snacks I can grow at home for him?🥰 and fun enrichment ideas!
No one is born knowing how to care for tortoises. We all have to learn somewhere. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and do better going forward, which you are.

Bumpy shells are called pyramiding. Pyramiding is not caused by poor diet. It is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Did you raise him in an open topped tortoise table?

Be careful going to a vet. Most of them know very little about tortoises, and they learn all the same wrong info from all the same wrong sources as everyone else. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Many vets want to do unnecessary and sometimes harmful things because they just don't know any better. You should refuse a "vitamin injection" if it is offered.

The light patch looks like old flaky skin. I wouldn't worry about that.

Your species is not a grass eating species, so I'd go easy with the grass. Its okay to mix in some to add fiber to grocery store greens, but I wouldn't feed whole meals of just grass to a greek.

The front nails don't look overgrown, but they are hard to see in your picture. If this tortoise is female, then those back nails are normal. Adult females have longer back nail for digging nests. Do you know for sure your tortoise is male? Post a pic of the tail and anal scutes for us? If this is indeed a male and those back nails are over grown, a vet can trim them for you.

More info here:

PixiePie

Surrey
No one is born knowing how to care for tortoises. We all have to learn somewhere. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and do better going forward, which you are.

Bumpy shells are called pyramiding. Pyramiding is not caused by poor diet. It is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Did you raise him in an open topped tortoise table?

Be careful going to a vet. Most of them know very little about tortoises, and they learn all the same wrong info from all the same wrong sources as everyone else. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Many vets want to do unnecessary and sometimes harmful things because they just don't know any better. You should refuse a "vitamin injection" if it is offered.

The light patch looks like old flaky skin. I wouldn't worry about that.

Your species is not a grass eating species, so I'd go easy with the grass. Its okay to mix in some to add fiber to grocery store greens, but I wouldn't feed whole meals of just grass to a greek.

The front nails don't look overgrown, but they are hard to see in your picture. If this tortoise is female, then those back nails are normal. Adult females have longer back nail for digging nests. Do you know for sure your tortoise is male? Post a pic of the tail and anal scutes for us? If this is indeed a male and those back nails are over grown, a vet can trim them for you.

More info here:
Thankyou!! Originally we were sold male and female but then when I went to a reptile shop they said both male, “she” sadly past away 😭 and he is a Herman tortoise (unless that’s Greek?!🙈) sorry I’m so useless but I’m trying to do better 🥺 and he has a Vivarium which I don’t feel is big enough but I live with my parents who won’t let me have anything bigger so I usually let him run around our bathroom when nobody is in the shower which he seems to like! 🙈 one vet where we used to take my beloved dog 🥺 is apparently able to see reptiles but now I’m suspicious! And worried of being judged 😭

Waiting for my dad to sort out raising the top of the viv to add the UVB/basking lamp thing we got ages ago. I should learn to build to make him a bigger house outside!🙈

Thankyou for your advice! Will take a picture of his tail now! Please excuse the substrate on his leggies 🙈😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

PixiePie

Surrey
Join the club, many of the veteran members here started their torts all wrong years ago. The correct info just wasn't there
The light spots on his face could just be him changing color, some get lighter some darker. Could also be he is rubbing against something.
As for enrichment ideas, a proper sized outdoor enclosure for 24/7 living with a proper heated hide if you get cold winters.
If you are in the US, Kapidolo Farms and tortoisesupply.com might have what your looking for food.
I am from the UK but maybe we have a UK site similar 🤔 I shall get on the research! Thankyou!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
There are many members from the UK on this forum. Hopefully they will be able to help you too.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am from the UK but maybe we have a UK site similar 🤔 I shall get on the research! Thankyou!
Hi and welcome,
I'm in the UK and been a member here for over 8 years. There are other forums etc but they seem to pass on old out of date advice, so this is the only place I use now. It has the best and most up to date advice for tort keepers worldwide. If you follow the advice in the link posted above and ask as many questions as you like your tort should be happy and healthy.
This will also help you and is probably part of that thread anyway but just in case
and this will help you find safe plants for food and enclosures (but bear in mind that although they may be safe not all are nutritious ) www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Thankyou!! Originally we were sold male and female but then when I went to a reptile shop they said both male, “she” sadly past away 😭 and he is a Herman tortoise (unless that’s Greek?!🙈) sorry I’m so useless but I’m trying to do better 🥺 and he has a Vivarium which I don’t feel is big enough but I live with my parents who won’t let me have anything bigger so I usually let him run around our bathroom when nobody is in the shower which he seems to like! 🙈 one vet where we used to take my beloved dog 🥺 is apparently able to see reptiles but now I’m suspicious! And worried of being judged 😭

Waiting for my dad to sort out raising the top of the viv to add the UVB/basking lamp thing we got ages ago. I should learn to build to make him a bigger house outside!🙈

Thankyou for your advice! Will take a picture of his tail now! Please excuse the substrate on his leggies 🙈😂
Hi PixiePie! You do indeed have a Greek tortoise, not a Hermann's tortoise. The big give away are the spurs on the back thighs. You may find this video helpful as it explains some of the differences between Mediterranean tortoises

PixiePie

Surrey
Hi and welcome,
I'm in the UK and been a member here for over 8 years. There are other forums etc but they seem to pass on old out of date advice, so this is the only place I use now. It has the best and most up to date advice for tort keepers worldwide. If you follow the advice in the link posted above and ask as many questions as you like your tort should be happy and healthy.
This will also help you and is probably part of that thread anyway but just in case
and this will help you find safe plants for food and enclosures (but bear in mind that although they may be safe not all are nutritious ) www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
I LOVE tortoise table! But I’m unsure if they are for certain types of tortoise? Thankyou so much!😁😁

PixiePie

Surrey
Hi PixiePie! You do indeed have a Greek tortoise, not a Hermann's tortoise. The big give away are the spurs on the back thighs. You may find this video helpful as it explains some of the differences between Mediterranean tortoises
Oh my goodness! This is news to me!! His certificate said Hermann and from Turkey! I’m going to watch that video now! Thankyou!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi and welcome,
I believe they were going to look for places on line in the UK to buy food and seeds from like the US tortoisesupply.com and Kapidolo Farms. Not look for a UK forum.
Do you know of plant and seed sources over there?

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
I'll link you to some sellers of dried commercial food options and seeds to grow your own tortoise safe weeds/flowers. All pellets are best fed to your tortoise after they've been soaked in some water to soften. Always try to feed alongside safe pesticide free weeds/leaves/flowers and the more nutritious store bought salads (stay clear of iceberg lettuce, spinach etc.):

- https://www.allthingstortoise.com/product-page/mazuri-tortoise-diet (ignore the bit on this website that mentions including a small percentage of fruit and vegetables to the diet, as this is not appropriate for Greeks, or indeed any species of Mediterranean tortoise).
- https://www.tortoisehut.co.uk/dried-food-for-tortoises (I use Nutrazu which is very similar to Mazuri, which my tortoises love, and I'm also trying to introduce some additional fiber with the Pre-Alpin and the Arcadia Optimised 52.

Dried flowers are a good topper and you could try some prickly pear cactus pads.

Hope this helps!

PixiePie

Surrey
I'll link you to some sellers of dried commercial food options and seeds to grow your own tortoise safe weeds/flowers. All pellets are best fed to your tortoise after they've been soaked in some water to soften. Always try to feed alongside safe pesticide free weeds/leaves/flowers and the more nutritious store bought salads (stay clear of iceberg lettuce, spinach etc.):

- https://www.allthingstortoise.com/product-page/mazuri-tortoise-diet (ignore the bit on this website that mentions including a small percentage of fruit and vegetables to the diet, as this is not appropriate for Greeks, or indeed any species of Mediterranean tortoise).
- https://www.tortoisehut.co.uk/dried-food-for-tortoises (I use Nutrazu which is very similar to Mazuri, which my tortoises love, and I'm also trying to introduce some additional fiber with the Pre-Alpin and the Arcadia Optimised 52.

Dried flowers are a good topper and you could try some prickly pear cactus pads.

Hope this helps!
Thankyou so much! Been looking at the cactus pads! Didn’t realise how expensive they are!😂 but messaged a seller to ask if they have used any fertiliser on it!

PixiePie

Surrey
Thankyou so much! Been looking at the cactus pads! Didn’t realise how expensive they are!😂 but messaged a seller to ask if they have used any fertiliser on it!
Wait I take this back!! Seen on link you sent much cheaper! Thankyou! Defo gunna order on payday!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I believe they were going to look for places on line in the UK to buy food and seeds from like the US tortoisesupply.com and Kapidolo Farms. Not look for a UK forum.
Do you know of plant and seed sources over there?
Ah I see. There are several online places that sell seeds, opuntia etc, best just to google tort food and add UK after it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
They are expensive and the last one I bought from Bioherps in Leighton Buzzard cost £20 with P&P but I had to throw most of it out because it was soft and brown. The seller did agree to deduct £7 off my next purchase.
My tort loves it but it can have a laxative effect which is messy - so I ration him to a few thin slices as a treat when he is in his soak.
Places like Pets at Home sell the dried pellets for occasional feeding, The Range used to but it looks like they have stopped selling reptile supplies in my local store so that may be nationwide.
Until the weeds come back I use shop bought crispy salad mixes as a base (Aldi sell bags with 4 types of better leaves, you'll also find a decent mix in Morrisons, Asda and Lidl - Florette Crispy Salad are the best but they are really expensive now) I add things like pak choy, lambs lettuce, kale, spring greens, dark green leaf romaine (rather than the pale hearts). You can get a European version of Mazuri online - it's called Nutrazu. My tort isn't keen on it.

PixiePie

Surrey
They are expensive and the last one I bought from Bioherps in Leighton Buzzard cost £20 with P&P but I had to throw most of it out because it was soft and brown. The seller did agree to deduct £7 off my next purchase.
My tort loves it but it can have a laxative effect which is messy - so I ration him to a few thin slices as a treat when he is in his soak.
Places like Pets at Home sell the dried pellets for occasional feeding, The Range used to but it looks like they have stopped selling reptile supplies in my local store so that may be nationwide.
Until the weeds come back I use shop bought crispy salad mixes as a base (Aldi sell bags with 4 types of better leaves, you'll also find a decent mix in Morrisons, Asda and Lidl - Florette Crispy Salad are the best but they are really expensive now) I add things like pak choy, lambs lettuce, kale, spring greens, dark green leaf romaine (rather than the pale hearts). You can get a European version of Mazuri online - it's called Nutrazu. My tort isn't keen on it.
I always worry that the salad mixes may have things he shouldn’t eat?🥺 he mostly has Kale and spring greens