Lethargic tortoise in summer?

Maddymcg4

Location (City and/or State)
BT65 5DA
Hi, my tortoise is beginning to sleep alot, I thought it might be he was dehydration as I very rarely see him drink, so I was soaking him and waking him to get him to eat. I've wet his food whenever I'm feeding him to try and hydrate him. I use tortoise life russian tortoise substrate and orchard bark, would the soil we dehydrating him?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I'm figuring you have a Russian tortoise? It would be easier if you filled out the husbandry better, than describing what you think is the problem and then answering your own question, at least for me.

Tortoises keep to themselves most of the time. The many images you see of active 'playful' animals are 'caught at the right moment'. They are not generally like birds continually in movement.

All that said, tortoises satisfy their needs then avoid predation, food, water are needs that make them wander about, otherwise shelter is the other need they seek. They may seek shelter if there is not optimal conditions (warmth, humidity and lighting) to explore. Cover that is not shelter helps as well.

I have a many groups of pancake tortoises, notorious for staying in shelter, and they have become quite animated once I put some plants that offer cover in their enclosure. They sit out in the open under the plants, as if hidden.

So, you are either covering the needs well and the tortoises is sated, and just hanging out in a shelter, or the enclosure is keeping them wanting to stay sheltered waiting for better conditions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, my tortoise is beginning to sleep alot, I thought it might be he was dehydration as I very rarely see him drink, so I was soaking him and waking him to get him to eat. I've wet his food whenever I'm feeding him to try and hydrate him. I use tortoise life russian tortoise substrate and orchard bark, would the soil we dehydrating him?
Need more info on housing and temperatures to answer your question. Pictures of the enclosure would help too. What type of lighting? Is this indoors or outside?

Sorry but I don't know what the secret code for your location means. Can you tell us where you are? Different advice for Phoenix Arizona vs. Dublin Ireland.

Maddymcg4

BT65 5DA
He's indoors, can't get a photo just at the moment . His temperature is at 27.5 C , humidity is at 72% . I'm in Ireland