Lethargic tortoise?

Ninja's mom

We got a Russian Tortoise baby about two months ago. He sleeps almost all day and aside from eating doesn't do much else. I brought him to the vet about two weeks ago b/c I was concerned about his lack of activity, they did an exam and said he was slightly thin and his parasite check came back negative, but otherwise seemed fine. She thought he was too cold so I bought a stronger heat lamp (160 watt with UVB) and that would make him more active and eat more. He does eat pretty well, when I soak him I put him in front of his food bowl and he will almost always eat. I soak him almost every day and he always poops when soaking. But he still sleeps all day/night from what I can tell. Is this normal for a baby tortoise? I don't know what else to do, this is my first tortoise (its actually my 8 year old sons tortoise) and I find him fascinating however I want to make sure he's okay!

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
you said he is warmer now but what are his temperatures? basking side cool side overall?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Under the Russian section is a good care sheet for Russian hatchlings. Check it out and make any needed changes. Babies do sleep a lot, but should do a little more awake time then just eating. If conditions, temp/humidity are not correct this could be the problem

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You say "Baby tortoise." Are you sure he's a baby, or are you just going by his small size, because Russian tortoises are a small species and don't get real big. At any rate, if he's warm enough, and if his day is at least 14 hours long (when the light is on), he should be bit more active. There are a lot of things that contribute to a lethargic tortoise. Can we see pictures of the tortoise and his habitat, including the lights?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please post pictures of your tortoise and its enclosure so as to get the help you need from the experts here.:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Ninja's mom

Thank you all for your replies. I will check out the russian tortoise info on this forum! His basking temperatures during the day average between 85-90ish. I can't seem to regulate them much more then that. The cooler side of the enclosure is around 75ish. We do have a top on the enclosure so i'm wondering if I the light is too far away from him, but i'm afraid to take the top off b/c I have a very large dog. I don't think he would do anything but obviously can't be sure.
He is definitely a baby, about 2 1/2 inches when we got him (yes I now know that you aren't supposed to be able to get a baby that small). He is captive bred and adorable!
I can take a picture but I am not home right now. He is in the National Geographic tortoise enclosure with the front that opens. Its the largest size, 55 gallon. However its not like a typical 55 gallon fish tank, its wider and not as tall.

Ninja's mom

Also should it take so long to warm up the enclosure? Its 11:00 now and the heat lamp has been on since 8am and its still only 80 in there. Granted it got cold overnight even though I put the heat on in the house for him. I think i'm going to have to change where I put the heat lamp and figure out a way to keep the dog locked out of that room (the door won't shut).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the light is sitting on a screen, then the screen is filtering out the beneficial UVB rays. There needs to be nothing between the light and the inside of the habitat.

Baby tortoises should be kept warm all the time, day and night. You can add a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to the habitat:

upload_2015-10-18_8-17-32.jpeg

This provides heat without light (for night time). Did you ever tell us what kind of light you're using? A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides heat and UVB both in one bulb:

upload_2015-10-18_8-18-55.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just re-read your original post. 160 watt bulb is pretty hot for a baby tortoise. I'm surprised it's not over-heating the habitat. I wonder if you have it up too high.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just did a Google search for your habitat:

reptile-supplies-top.jpg

Is the one on the right in the picture what you're using? this should be quite ok for a baby tortoise, however, you'll need to either cut out holes for the light, or don't use the screen lid at all.

Ninja's mom

Yes the one on the right is what we are using! We have the Power Sun Mercury Vapor light. I think the problem is the light is too high. I went to the pet store today to get a stand to hang the light on so I can get it closer to him, we will have to remove the top screen. Unfortunately the pet store didn't have anything that would work. I will go on amazon and express ship one here tonight. I really dont' think the dog will bother him but i'll also get a hook and eye lock for the top off the door to the room Ninja is in, when we aren't home I will make sure its locked to keep the dog out. Its amazing how attached you get to these little guys, even though they don't do much!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. What a pretty little baby tort. I love Russian tortoises.

Ninja's mom

Above is a picture of his (or her) set up. I put the towel there to try and warm up the tank more I have ordered something to hold the light so I can take the screen off and get the light closer to him, it should be here by Wednesday.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How tall is the enclosure? Seems like 100 W should be good. I suggest you get a temperature gun so that you can get accurate readings. And a good heat and humidity gauge. Here are mine but there are others that work well too.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445391647.036136.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445391676.500014.jpg