Let me introduce Zig. Hermann's or Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piermi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Here is Zig the newest addition to the family. Is settling very well and I think quite happy.

Still unsure if he/she is a Hermann's or Greek. I think THB but would love your opinion.

Great forum, guys. Full of useful advice.
Piermi

cimg0445x.jpg

cimg0439.jpg

cimg0438j.jpg

cimg0444a.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

Zig is a nice looking hatchling.....

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
GBtortoises said:
Definitely a Hermann's, from what I can tell from the photos an Eastern Hermann's, Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Actually upon enlarging your plastron photo and taking a much better look I think you may have a Dalmatian Hermann's, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. Can you post a photo similar to your plastron view only closer so that it shows better detail?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Piermi:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I just noticed that huge cuttlebone next to your tortoise! It's going to be a long time before that little dude (or dudette) is going to be able to bite into that. In the meantime you may want to break that up into very small pieces or better still place a small shallow container of powdered calcium carbonate (or powdered cuttlebone) for your tortoise to consume as it wants to.

piermi

5 Year Member
SE Michigan
GBtortoises said:
I just noticed that huge cuttlebone next to your tortoise! It's going to be a long time before that little dude (or dudette) is going to be able to bite into that. In the meantime you may want to break that up into very small pieces or better still place a small shallow container of powdered calcium carbonate (or powdered cuttlebone) for your tortoise to consume as it wants to.

Thanks for the advice. As a matter of fact he/she has ignored the cuttlebone completely.
I am putting calcium+D3 on the food every other day. Is that enough?

Light is a a MVA 100W. Will go outside as soon as possible...that means around April here in Michigan :(

piermi

5 Year Member
SE Michigan
GBtortoises said:
GBtortoises said:
Definitely a Hermann's, from what I can tell from the photos an Eastern Hermann's, Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Actually upon enlarging your plastron photo and taking a much better look I think you may have a Dalmatian Hermann's, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. Can you post a photo similar to your plastron view only closer so that it shows better detail?
I will definitively post a close up. A this point I am really curious...
Thanks

Of course they sold it to me as Western, to muddy up the water, but based based on the other posts I see around I doubt that's the case.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I've heard of a lot of people being sold Western Hermann's that aren't. So you're not alone at all. Western Hermann's are the rarest of the three Hermann's species available in captivity in the U.S. Until very recently the number of breeders producing Western offspring could be counted on one hand, now it would take two hands, but barely! Westerns are rarely openly advertised, most are already sold almost immediately upon hatching. Western hatchlings typically sell for $300-400 each while Easterns and Dalmatians both sell for around $100-125 each. Of course price is not always a good indicator of what you're getting if the seller represented it as a Western and priced it as such too. If the tortoise in your photo was represented to you as a Western by the breeder that it came from it is not a purebred Western.

Status
Not open for further replies.