Leopard Torts and Sulcata in same house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooly285

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My brother is bring home 3 leopard torts 2.1 all relatively the same size. I have my own sulcata which is a male around the same size as his leopards. I was wondering if there was any chance of them living together until the sulcata becomes to big to be around them. They all are around 10 inches. Thanks.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Texas/Cal.
Wooly285 said:
My brother is bring home 3 leopard torts 2.1 all relatively the same size. I have my own sulcata which is a male around the same size as his leopards. I was wondering if there was any chance of them living together until the sulcata becomes to big to be around them. They all are around 10 inches. Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum.
The best is to keep them seperate, sulcata with sulcata, and leopards with leopards to avoid passing different germs between these species. Also when you introduce new torts to your existing one, you should quarantine the new ones for awhile to ensure they are all healthy, active, eating normally....and no sickness...

Minh

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I agree with keeping them separated. Each species has natural bacteria that doesn't make them sick but could make other species sick if they come in contact with that bacteria.
Also, take a poop sample from all 4 torts to your reptile vet for a fecal to be sure no body has parasites, coccidia, protozoa, etc. The stress of making a change from a previous home can activate any or all of these.
I had to make a quick pen for a large Mississippi Gopher tortoise that needed rehabbing recently. I went to Home Depot and got a 50' roll of 20" flashing (I think it was about $40) and 8 pieces of 2" x 2" x 8' pine. You will cut each of these 2" x 2" x 8' into 3 pieces, with a point on one end. Set the tin flashing in an oval. Hammer the posts into the ground 2' apart & screw some 1" fine threaded screws (I used sheetrock screws) to hold it on. We used 3 per post. We also have a drill with a screwdriver bit to make it easier.
Good luck
Patsy

Wooly285

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the good information and welcome to the forum. I'll keep them seperated for living purposes. Did you say I could quarantine the leopards then later introduce them to the sulcata to roam outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.